Another option instead of Hangouts?

Is there another text app (besides Hangouts) that will let you use your Google Voice number to text from and receive? I use my GV number as my main number, that way, I never have to change my number with people, should I get a new phone number. I just really don't like hangouts.
posted by Amalie-Suzette to Technology (5 answers total)

The Google Voice app? That's what I use to send and receive texts with my GV number.
posted by town of cats at 11:35 AM on April 25, 2016 [1 favorite]

Came in to say the Google Voice app itself. I use it all the time on my phone and then I use the add-in in Chrome to text from my toolbar in Chrome on my pc.

+1 for what town of cats wrote.
posted by AugustWest at 11:49 AM on April 25, 2016

I should have included the fact that I used the Google Voice app before they integrated hangouts, then I switched to hangouts for more options. I'm looking for a 3rd party SMS app that I can use my google voice number with. :)
posted by Amalie-Suzette at 2:27 PM on April 25, 2016

I was about to suggest Talkatone, but they've stopped supporting Google Voice, apparently since Google Voice 3rd party access is totally disabled.
posted by mkb at 12:36 PM on April 26, 2016

Well that sucks...
posted by Amalie-Suzette at 11:21 AM on May 1, 2016

« Older Lync on Windows 10   |   The horror of vast/infinite things Newer »