Most Professional Bang for the Buck?

I'm graduating with my Bachelors in Logistics and Supply Chain Management & Administration in a few weeks. What should my next steps be?

This is a dual major degree, my advisor talked me into adding on Administration as it was only 4 extra classes, but I'm mostly interested in Logistics and Supply Chain.
Since the company I currently work for paid half of my tuition, I'm obligated to continue on here for at least the next 18 months. While I'll be looking at opportunities internally, what can I do in the meantime to make myself more attractive for the job market in that time-frame?

Professional organizations worth the membership fees?
Professional certifications for Supply Chain managers that would be good to pursue?
Any general administration certs or orgs that would be awesome even if it isn't my main focus?
Any other general tips or insights you feel like sharing would be welcome!
posted by sharp pointy objects to Work & Money (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

What are your goals?
posted by quaking fajita at 9:24 AM on April 21, 2016

Go to as many supplier/procurement conferences as your employer will allow - there are generally tons of relevant connections there to be made.

There are also a bunch of LinkedIn groups for suppliers and procurement folks in a variety of industries. Join, share content, make connections.

This is a stab in the dark without knowing the industry you're in, but get a sense of where supply chains for your industry are and any languages that might be particularly appealing for you to learn. I did some work in economic development and the people on our trade teams who spoke Mandarin (food, manufacturing) or Punjabi (IT, natural gas) were constantly in demand.
posted by scrittore at 9:34 AM on April 21, 2016 [1 favorite]

Oh yes, that would probably be helpful!

Next 2-3 years: Move into a Supply Chain or Distribution department to get actual experience in that area (I'm currently in contracts).

In 5 or so years: Mid-level manager of a company in their Supply Chain or Distribution departments, working towards getting the experience to move upwards to the Director level in another 5-10 years. (This might require an MBA?)

I'm currently working in medical devices, so I'm familiar with the industry but I'd like to try out others, because medical sales are pretty crazy-making long term. I love warehouses, transportation, shipping, and solving weird problems.
posted by sharp pointy objects at 9:35 AM on April 21, 2016

Conferences are great if you can get someone else to pay for them. MODEX, Manhattan Momentum, JDA Focus, and CSCMP's conference are great. Those of us in my company who attend every year generally bring back something that we end up implementing. However, I would advise against paying the $1000+ price tag to go to one on your own.
posted by nulledge at 6:30 AM on April 22, 2016

« Older Cast-iron skillet: Enamelled on the outside but...   |   Did Jello compromise my endoscopy today Newer »