Out-of-state job quandry

Hi, My husband has applied for a dream job in another state. His application could take several weeks/months before we hear either way (a Federal position). I have found a position that I am well qualified for, but the end date for accepting applications is in five days. Is it tacky to apply for a job when you might not move to the state, or if your availability could be several weeks/months out? Or if I did apply and get an offer, and had to withdraw my application if my husband doesn't get an offer?
posted by Bexlemon to Work & Money (8 answers total)

You both need to assume that either of those could not work out, so go for it and give them both your best shot. Best case, you both get offers you want, in which case you can cross that wonderful bridge when you come to it.
posted by fingersandtoes at 5:17 PM on April 19, 2016 [13 favorites]

Is it tacky to apply for a job when you might not move to the state, or if your availability could be several weeks/months out?

No. Even the most awesome of employers expect to have some number of applicants (in state or out of state) decline offers. This is especially true of out of state applicants. For instance, I figure 1/2 of in-state offers will be declined and 2/3 of out-of-state offers will be declined. A competent employer will take that into consideration when deciding whether or not to interview someone (ie, I have to be somewhat more impressed by an out-of-state applicant to bring them in for an interview).

Similarly, a competent HR person will ask about your availability as one of the first questions asked. If you answer truthfully, they will decide whether or not to move forward. I would find it fairly tacky (because you'd be wasting my organization's time, which has a monetary value associated with it) if you said your availability was immediate in a phone interview, but that became several months out when in an in-person interview (or at the point of offer).

Or if I did apply and get an offer, and had to withdraw my application if my husband doesn't get an offer?

No. That's to be expected in any out-of-state offer situation and the chance of that happening is taken into account by the company when deciding whether or not to interview you and whether or not to make you an offer.
posted by saeculorum at 5:20 PM on April 19, 2016

If the job is formal enough to have an application deadline, you can almost count on it taking 2-4 months for them to complete the process of selection, get an offer approved and extended, and then set a start date.

Don't talk yourself out of opportunities. You can always turn it down later in the process (or take the job and have your husband continue to search in that area, if it's where you want to live), but you cannot get the opportunity back later if you change your mind.
posted by Lyn Never at 5:35 PM on April 19, 2016 [8 favorites]

You don't owe anything to an employer who you may never even work for. Basic professionalism, sure, but that's it. Don't base your decision of whether or not to apply for a job on how the company might feel about it if you decline, base it on what would be the best thing tactically for your long-term finances. You're talking about your career strategy here, not your wedding invitations. You are not required to manage a potential employer's emotional needs.
posted by Anticipation Of A New Lover's Arrival, The at 6:05 PM on April 19, 2016 [5 favorites]

Apply for the job.
posted by amanda at 6:30 PM on April 19, 2016

Please apply. Best of luck!
posted by Night_owl at 7:09 PM on April 19, 2016

I've been in a fair number of hiring committees over the years. I have been disappointed but never annoyed when my hiring offer was turned down. Please apply. Be honest if asked.
posted by chapps at 7:58 PM on April 19, 2016 [1 favorite]

Is the job you're applying for Federal too?

If so, do not even give those worries a second thought. You aren't going to be "dinged" on some Federal list because you decide you won't take a job with one agency. The time it takes for a central HR to look at the applications and finish the cert that the agency actually looks at. Apply and good lucky to you and your husband!
posted by whitetigereyes at 4:04 AM on April 20, 2016

« Older Makeup maps for my giant eye orbs   |   "Pear Chub" Code Stickers Newer »