Need to freshen up these skills

There is an online job I'd really like to apply for. It's customer support for a company that provides user experience information for a business's website. I think I'd be good at it except for one requirement.

"Proficient with HTML, Javascript and using browser dev tools."

What is the quickest way to get up to speed on these? It's been about 4 years since I was dabbling in this. There's also one technical question on the app about how would i figure out if a Javascript file was loading properly.

All their other questions are about customer service and explaining technical concepts to laypeople and I'm totally good with that.

I'm currently residing outside the US (I am a US citizen) and I'm finding it hard to find online work because of this. This company doesn't care about that so I really want to apply for this job.

I think I'd be really good at this job and would really enjoy it but I need to somehow make them think that as well!

So...

1 - how can I get up to speed on HTML, Javascript, and browser dev tools asap?
2 - should I apply now with a googled answer so that the job doesn't disappear while I'm frantically reactivating the code portion of my brain?
posted by anonymous to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

1. Khan Academy
2. Yes. You know what "real" programmers do all the time when they don't know how to do something? They Google it.
posted by sparklemotion at 12:14 PM on April 19, 2016 [8 favorites]

Pretty sure I applied for this exact same job...

There are numerous resources for this. Webmonkey, Codecademy, FreeCodeCamp, etc. Those are just the free ones. If you don't mind paying, there's Treehouse and Code School. Bento.io is kind of a portal for code tutorials. Most of it's pretty easy. Try a few and find what works best for you. If you're willing to put in some time, you should be able to get proficient enough for a position like this in a couple of weeks.

FWIW, if it is the same job I applied to, I got a response saying they're not planning on hiring until summer. So you can submit a googled answer now, and then study up between now and when they actually start interviewing.
posted by kevinbelt at 1:52 PM on April 19, 2016

I don't even think you need that. Answering that particular question doesn't require any knowledge of javascript, which is what those sites teach. You just need to open dev tools, open the network tab and the console tab, and watch what happens. The console is useful to see the log messages the js gives out and when errors occur. The network tab is to see what files are loading, how long they took to download, and if any files failed to load while loading the page. Personally, I'd use the combination of those two things to diagnose whether there is a loading failure and if the failure is a network failure (which goes to the ops guys that maintain infrastructure) or a js error (which goes to the frontend team).

It's fun to learn js. But not scrictly necessary.
posted by Pacrand at 9:09 PM on April 19, 2016

« Older Communist baby gift   |   Help me navigate the world of ethical/sustainable... Newer »