A character wearing all her clothes to run away?

My mom has this very distinct memory of the character of a young girl (book or movie) wearing all her clothes as she tries to run away. I can't find where it's from.

We've been referencing it my whole life, and I only recently realized I had no idea what she was talking about.

She insists it's from Heidi - that Heidi, in running away from her grandfather in the mountains, puts on all her clothes and tries to run away in the mountains. That doesn't match any version of Heidi I've read/seen. I reviewed summaries of a bunch of Heidi adaptations before throwing up my hands.

Do you have any idea where this image is from?
posted by quadrilaterals to Media & Arts (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Anne Frank writes about it in her diary. In order not to raise suspicions as they walk to their hiding place, they wear all the clothes they bring.
posted by fingersandtoes at 5:15 PM on April 18, 2016 [3 favorites]

I remember this in the context of an abridged version of Heidi--and actually use this same reference myself--but I can't remember exactly where I got it from. It was in a picture book, perhaps even a little book that came along with a recording (on tape? on a record?).
posted by trixie119 at 5:19 PM on April 18, 2016 [3 favorites]

I believe the modern (male) protagonist in Paulsen's Canyons does this, if that might be something she read to you when young?
posted by teremala at 5:20 PM on April 18, 2016

This did happen in Heidi. In the very beginning of the story, they are hiking up to her Grandfather's house and Heidi is wearing multiple dresses instead of carrying them, and she's hot and miserable. (When I was little, I often planned my escape and I put on layers and layers of clothes, just like Heidi, even though I couldn't cross the street alone.)
posted by mochapickle at 5:23 PM on April 18, 2016 [6 favorites]

From the first page:
On a clear sunny morning in June two figures might be seen climbing the narrow mountain path; one, a tall strong-looking girl, the other a child whom she was leading by the hand, and whose little checks were so aglow with heat that the crimson color could be seen even through the dark, sunburnt skin. And this was hardly to be wondered at, for in spite of the hot June sun the child was clothed as if to keep off the bitterest frost. She did not look more than five years old, if as much, but what her natural figure was like, it would have been hard to say, for she had apparently two, if not three dresses, one above the other, and over these a thick red woollen shawl wound round about her, so that the little body presented a shapeless appearance, as, with its small feet shod in thick, nailed mountain-shoes, it slowly and laboriously plodded its way up in the heat.
posted by mochapickle at 5:26 PM on April 18, 2016 [8 favorites]

Yes! Heidi! I had an abridged, beautifully-illustrated version. And yes, I remember it from Anne Frank too. Wow. Memory Lane.
posted by mulcahy at 5:36 PM on April 18, 2016 [2 favorites]

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler?
posted by SassHat at 5:43 PM on April 18, 2016 [7 favorites]

I haven't read these since I was little but I'm pretty sure the Boxcar Children wore all their clothes when they ran away.
posted by workerant at 7:06 PM on April 18, 2016 [1 favorite]

I was coming in to suggest Boxcar Children as well.

I can't confirm it, but I feel like the Mandie Mysteries has Mandie run away (or attempt to run away?) in that manner.
posted by guster4lovers at 7:47 PM on April 18, 2016

In the animated TV adaption of Heidi (Takahata 1974), the scene where Heidi is taken unwillingly up the mountain wearing all of her clothes occurs in the first episode.
posted by snarfois at 4:07 AM on April 19, 2016

« Older House bras!   |   An economic history of the French Revolution Newer »