Can you suggest a beer recipe using Breiss Golden Light DME?

I have 2kg of Breiss Golden Light DME and I need an extract recipe to start using it up. I am an inexperienced brewer who doesn't know how to create my own recipe or even recognize a decent recipe. I also don't know whether it's appropriate to substitute any light DME for my Breiss DME. Please help me find a recipe.

I don't like the looks of any of the Breiss recipes, becuase of the five listed they've got two IPAs, two lagers, and something not light enough for what I'm in the mood for.

My main criteria are simply
(1) that I want to use this DME that I already have without having to spend too much more on additional DME or LME, and
(2) that it must be an ale because I don't have the ability to control temperature that would be necessary for a lager.

Other criteria
- I'm not that fussy, but I definitely want something light and I'm not in the mood for an IPA
- It would be cool if I got to add something like coriander or grapefruit peels, kind of thing

posted by kitcat to Food & Drink (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Make a witbier. Assuming a 5-gallon (~19L) batch, get one more pound (1/2 kg) of wheat extract and a small amount (up to 1 oz / 30g) of low-alpha hops, such as German Hallertau or Tettnanger, or whatever the brew store recommends in place of those. Get either a Belgian Wit ale (preferably) or a German Weizen (backup) yeast. Boil the hops at least 15 minutes in your wort, cool and pitch. All of these yeasts should be pretty tolerant of a wide variety of temperatures - in fact some of the usual off-flavors you get from fermenting other yeasts out of the recommended temp range are actually preferred in wits. Add spices at your discretion, probably either last 5 minutes of the boil or after the end of primary fermentation. Maybe both!
posted by Joey Buttafoucault at 10:48 AM on April 12, 2016

I'm a big fan of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, which I've made with lots of different hop schedules. It's a dead-simple beer (honestly, I'm not sure how much you get from steeping the Carapils anyhow; you could probably get away with using only extract), and if you do decide to hop with Centennial / Cascade, some grapefruit peel toward the end of the boil would probably be great (you could also sanitize / toss it into primary, but you might get too much bitterness that way).

Anyhow, DME is something like 43ppg, so if you made a 5-gallon batch with the recommended Nottingham yeast, you should see something at about 4% ABV. If you want something a little stronger and don't want to buy more extract, make a smaller batch (a 4.25 gallon batch will get you into the 4.5-5% ABV range, depending on how much attenuation you get).
posted by uncleozzy at 11:09 AM on April 12, 2016

Light DME is basically a chameleon: you can use it is pretty much any recipe, you'll be getting the same kind of very basic malt flavor you'd get from standard 2-row barley in an all-grain batch; most of your flavor would then comes from other grains, interesting additions, hops, yeast, etc. In other words, if you think of a beer recipe as a painting, light extract is more like the canvas than any of the paints. You can definitely use Briess and any other light malt extract you see in a recipe interchangeably. Just make sure the recipe is written for dry extract; liquid extract isn't a pound-to-pound replacement so you'd need to do some math to convert a recipe that uses LME to DME.

I'd suggest against a witbier since this isn't a wheat extract; it'll be close if you use a witbier yeast but not quite right. Uncleozzy's recipe looks good.
posted by Itaxpica at 1:03 PM on April 12, 2016

You could always browse different hops, pick one that sounds appealing to you, and work from there to choose a yeast (or vice versa). And of course add grapefruit peel or coriander as seems appealing to you! Can't really go wrong, and making a simple beer like that would give you some good education about hop flavors/yeast characteristics. Check out BrewToad! It'll help you get a feel for recipe making -- it'll tell you the projected gravity of your recipe, estimated bitterness, etc. From what you're describing, you probably want to shoot for an original gravity of 1.030 or 1.040 and IBUs between 15 and 30 or so.

More specifically, if you're wanting to add grapefruit peel or coriander, and you lack temperature control, a saison could be a good fit for you! Just browse BrewToad for recipes. Typically you want a saison to finish very dry, so most recipes call for fermentable pilsner malts. But I doubt that you'd produce a bad beer subbing in what you've got.

Happy brewing!
posted by Gymnopedist at 1:35 PM on April 12, 2016

Your DME is going to provide your mash with sugar and a bit of color, maybe a lightly malty character. Add 250mg of 20lv crystal malt (for slightly deeper color and a touch more maltiness), the same of biscuit or munich (for malty balance) and your favorite hops (from washington or oregon) for bitterness and aroma -- and you've got yourself a fine, balanced light ale. no need to over think it, and if you're not competing, no need to try to match a style.
posted by OHenryPacey at 1:45 PM on April 12, 2016

« Older Community Organization—Not 501c3—and the IRS   |   And they lived happily child free ever after... Newer »