Gros Michel Banana

Where can I find a gros michel banana to eat. I just need one, not the whole plant, I just want to try the old fashioned banana. Banana forums warn of scams where only a Cavendish has been eaten. Where's that Gros Michel. Where is Fat Mike Banan. i live in louisville kentucky but have access to Online
posted by Greg Nog to Food & Drink (6 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

This has been asked a bit, around the internet. This is probably the best answer.
posted by blob at 8:04 AM on April 10, 2016 [1 favorite]

You might want to ask a fellow MeFite.
posted by MonkeyToes at 8:05 AM on April 10, 2016

One of my local Asian grocery stores has a whole big selection of bananas. I don't know if they've got Gros Michel specifically, but I'd ask at your local Asian groceries. Lots of interesting textures, flavors and colors.
posted by straw at 8:11 AM on April 10, 2016

If anybody would have them (or could special-order them) in Louisville, I'm betting it would be Paul's Fruit Market, but they're closed on Sundays. I just called all of the asian groceries in town, none of them have them. Whole Foods has some non-Cavendish varieties, including some baby varieties and red bananas, but dude in their produce department says Gros Michel isn't on most distributors' lists in this area.

You might also reach out to @SarahFritschner and ask her - she's been a locavore food expert in Louisville for decades, and is a friend of mine. If anybody would know how to track them down, it's her.
posted by jbickers at 9:27 AM on April 10, 2016 [4 favorites]

Maybe Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati carries them.
posted by chaoticgood at 12:21 PM on April 10, 2016 [1 favorite]

I shop there pretty frequently and can't recall ever having seen any. I'll check later this week on my trip and let Greg Nog know.
posted by none of these will bring disaster at 7:05 PM on April 10, 2016

« Older What color dog/cat hair is least obvious on black...   |   What's the best bird seed for my bird feeder? Newer »