What are the most interesting Digital Humanities projects to date?

I am wondering what you think the most interesting Digital Humanities projects are to date, and what makes them so interesting. Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
posted by mortaddams to Society & Culture (5 answers total) 23 users marked this as a favorite

Why We Post was a FPP last month. Briefly, it's about the role that social media occupies in various cultures.
posted by gemutlichkeit at 7:25 PM on April 9, 2016 [1 favorite]

Tim Sherratt gave a great talk on work he's been doing with facial recognition.
Projects mentioned:
Invisible Australians
Eyes on the Past
Face Depot
posted by zamboni at 7:52 PM on April 9, 2016

I really like The Atlantic Slave Trade in Two Minutes
posted by Thella at 9:26 PM on April 9, 2016 [1 favorite]

The Perseus Digital Library is still one of the greatest in my opinion.
posted by BibiRose at 4:36 AM on April 10, 2016 [1 favorite]

Mapping the Long Women's Movement is a really fascinating and nifty interactive map + interview content tool made with oral histories regarding women's rights (and as part of the larger Long Civil Rights Movement). I like it because oral histories can be daunting for some researchers, especially if they're younger (K-12) and if the interviews are long and meandering. This map distills the key points into very usable pieces and maps them so you can easily see what was happening in this region during this time period, and what specific topics are covered. As an oral historian, this is like a dream come true: making oral history accessible on an at-a-glance level.

It looks like some students put together a toolkit for it, if you're interested in the back end.
posted by witchen at 8:08 PM on April 10, 2016 [2 favorites]

« Older Through a scanner...compactly?   |   New "relationship" moving too fast Newer »