Programs for people with autism
April 6, 2016 7:33 AM   Subscribe

I have a family member who is autistic and having a difficult time coping with school and with life in general. He has consented to attending a workshop or classes that might help him deal with things a little better. We are located in the San Jose area and wondering if anyone knows of any such programs. Thank you.
posted by madonna of the unloved to Human Relations (4 answers total)

Knowing how old this person is would probably help. At least if we are talking teen/young adult/adult. Are they in college or just working life? Stuff like that.
posted by magnetsphere at 8:20 AM on April 6, 2016

Is he in contact with his nearest Regional Center? I don't know if there is one in San Jose; I'm somewhat familiar with the Regional Center of the East Bay. These centers are contracted by the State of CA and are meant to help and provide support to individuals with developmental disabilities. It may be worth checking into.
posted by JenMarie at 9:18 AM on April 6, 2016 [1 favorite]

Parents Helping Parents is a fantastic resource that can probably refer you to some good opportunities.

EvoLibri is a private organization that offer some very good programs for teens and young adults. If he is getting services from the Regional Center, they might pay for the program

In fact, if he is getting services from the regional center, (San Andreas Regional Center serves this area) his case worker might have some more suggestions as well as knowing what resources might be available to pay for them.
posted by metahawk at 10:16 AM on April 6, 2016

He is 20 years old.
posted by madonna of the unloved at 9:36 PM on April 6, 2016

« Older Person in fragile health needs recommendations!   |   How do airlines predict TSA capacity on a certain... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.