Managing Off-Device iPad Apps

I'm upgrading from an older 64 GB iPad to a new 32 GB one, so I need to shrink my data; especially stop storing large, seldom-used apps on the device (I can re-download from App Store when needed). What's the best way to keep a handy list of certain specified off-device apps, each linked to its App Store page for convenient re-downloading?

The "Not-stored-on-device" pane in App Store is useless, flooded with useless apps I bought ages ago and no longer care about. Only 10% or so of my not-on-device apps are of keen interest to me. Those are the ones I want to account for.

I could create a web page with a list of apps (each hot-linked to its App Store page), but that'd be non-dynamic....i.e. would be hard to keep track of apps I've re-downloaded, or to add newly-purchased-but-off-device apps).
posted by Quisp Lover to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

That $150 jump from 32GB to 128GB on the new small iPad Pros is a killer, alas....
posted by Quisp Lover at 11:26 AM on April 2, 2016

swiping left on an app in the "not on this iPad" page will now reveal a big red "HIDE" button.
posted by mce at 11:38 AM on April 2, 2016 [1 favorite]

Cool! But then no way to then view the hidden. Also lack of sort is fatal. That pane is not useful for my purpose, but thanks for the tip!
posted by Quisp Lover at 12:16 PM on April 2, 2016

How about a list with links in the Notes app?
posted by griseus at 12:30 PM on April 2, 2016

What griseus said. Right/Ctrl-click on the app's title on its App Store page, copy the link, and when you paste it into Notes you'll get a completely formed link. (e.g., Twitter)
posted by ChurchHatesTucker at 1:03 PM on April 2, 2016

FWIW, I'm tech-savvy. I'm hoping there's an app out there to do this or other pre-existing service.

I can create a list of links in any of 97 different formats. But as I say in the OP, it will be a drag to keep track of dynamic changes and new apps if I need to do this manually each time.
posted by Quisp Lover at 1:13 PM on April 2, 2016

Ok, I've got it. Create a second AppShopper account, using the "wish list" function to track offline apps. I can use their easy search and toggling to move apps on/off the wish list
posted by Quisp Lover at 1:16 PM on April 2, 2016

« Older Low and high-brow culture preparation for Key...   |   Fix my Hover-over Text in Chrome Newer »