What should I do in greater Boston for the next 48 hours?
March 16, 2016 6:22 AM   Subscribe

I came back to take care of some personal stuff in New England this week, but it's all already done! So outside of a couple evenings and dinners with family and friends, I have the next few days free. I have some money and some time and a rental car - what adventures do you recommend?
posted by boghead to Travel & Transportation around Boston, MA (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Spent a day in Boston last year before a flight, we went to the Science Museum and it was ACE
posted by greenish at 6:34 AM on March 16, 2016

The weather is a little gloomy today, so here are some indoor ideas:

Taza Chocolate Factory Tour

Visit the renovated Fogg Museum at Harvard (gorgeous, and more off the beaten track than the MFA/Gardner, although those are both fantastic)

Snacks and coffee from Boston Public Market
posted by chocotaco at 7:49 AM on March 16, 2016

Public Market is a good call - check out their program schedule for tastings and events.

The Boston Public Library gives a good tour of its architecture and history.

Gloucester makes for a good day trip, even though the weather is not the nicest for it. The Cape Ann Museum there is a great small museum showcasing the area's surprisingly great contributions to art, including Hopper, John Sloan, and the Folly Cove artists. Great food and drink is to be had at Cape Ann Brewing or Short and Main. The Cape Ann Community Cinema and Stage has interesting art films and documentaries.

Another day trip about an hour from Boston is Portsmouth, NH - lots to do there, including shopping or browsing, two good bookstores, and pubs with live music nightly.
posted by Miko at 7:56 AM on March 16, 2016 [1 favorite]

Tomorrow *is* Saint Patrick's Day, which depending on your tastes, is either a good reason to hang out in town, or a good reason to get out of the city towards some of the other destinations.
posted by Brittanie at 10:47 AM on March 16, 2016 [1 favorite]

The historical sites in Concord.
posted by brujita at 11:03 AM on March 16, 2016

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum! Much more interesting and distinctive than its giant neighbor. Featuring a beautiful indoor garden in bloom in addition to the art, which may be pleasing on such a grey day.
posted by praemunire at 12:38 PM on March 16, 2016

« Older How to cheer up a friend who made a big mistake?   |   High protein, high fat, infrequent effort cooking Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.