Did the X-Files predict the iPad? Or something?

I remember something about the X-Files "predicting" the iPad but can't find anything online. Can you help me find this?

It may not be the X-Files, maybe it's a movie or another show. Google keeps bringing up Mad TV which I know is not what I'm thinking of. Also was not the comic that Google brings up. It may also be the iPhone or iPod but I'm pretty certain I'm thinking of the iPad.

posted by DeltaForce to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey gadgets look like modern tech devices.
posted by effluvia at 10:05 PM on February 27, 2016 [2 favorites]

The Incredibles from 2004 has an iPad in it.
posted by w0mbat at 10:47 PM on February 27, 2016

I remember watching How William Shatner Changed the World. The documentary specifically cites an episode of TNG ("A Matter of Time") that directly inspired Apple engineers to create the iPod.
posted by oflinkey at 7:17 AM on February 28, 2016

Not quite the iPad, but Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age predicted e-ink devices like the Kindle.
posted by MsMolly at 8:30 AM on February 28, 2016 [1 favorite]

Sci-fi books have referred to tablets for decades. Star Trek: The Next Generation uses them everywhere.
posted by irisclara at 9:12 PM on February 28, 2016

« Older Help me simplify my sock scenario   |   Suggest fantasy books/series for a 14 yr old. Newer »