Is there a short story set on the Golden Gate bridge?

I'm trying to remember the author and title of a story (at least, I think it's a story). All I really remember is a parent, I think a dad but I could be wrong, sitting in traffic on a bridge. I believe there are at least two kids in the car, and there might be some kind of accident or disaster ongoing or impending, hence the traffic. Possibly earthquake related because I think it's in the Bay Area? I'm pretty sure it's the Golden Gate bridge? But it might just be a generic/elsewhere bridge and I made it the Golden Gate in my mind. It could also be an opening/early scene in a novel? But I feel pretty sure about the short story part, at least. I wish I remembered more, but I know this exists and it's driving me crazy. Short story with parent(s) in car with kid(s) on bridge, possibly set in the Bay Area: ringing any bells?
posted by adastra to Society & Culture (4 answers total)

It's not a short story, but maybe Paperquake? YA novel, bay area, impending earthquake. At some point the main character phones in a (fake) bomb threat on the Golden Gate, I think.
posted by you could feel the sky at 11:00 PM on February 24, 2016

The Stephen King short story "The Mist" ends with a makeshift family (led by the Dad) driving out of Bridgton, Maine, sitting in the car trying to find news on the radio after their town is decimated by a weird mist full of dangerous creatures that were possibly spawned by an army test gone wrong.
posted by pseudostrabismus at 11:32 PM on February 24, 2016

"Today Will Be a Quiet Day" by Amy Hempel.

It's here
posted by pretentious illiterate at 5:30 AM on February 25, 2016 [2 favorites]

YES, Amy Hempel! Thank you so much.
posted by adastra at 10:02 AM on February 25, 2016

« Older Looking for a restaurant gift card idea for...   |   relationship rollercoaster Newer »