Automated Cloud Work-Flows Handling Web Pages

Sorry for super-inarticulate title. There are web services that will automatically (or on schedule) check web pages, download web pages, push buttons on web pages, etc, and manipulate the result in various ways (e.g. save to dropbox). Anybody know what I'm talking about?

I actually learned about this here, but can't find my bookmarks. For extra points, tell me how to tag bookmarks better so I can actually find this stuff when I need it!!
posted by Quisp Lover to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Best answer: if this then that?

i don't know a common term but services like ifttt has some suggestions.
posted by andrewcooke at 11:59 AM on February 18, 2016

There's also Zapier for businesses.
posted by Foci for Analysis at 1:44 PM on February 18, 2016

"Cloud website monitoring" as a search term will turn up a variety of tools that can do the things you asked about to various levels of sophistication. Are you trying to test servers that you are in control of or third party systems? If it's the latter, "cloud web scraping" may be the search term for the win.
posted by Candleman at 1:46 PM on February 18, 2016

I switched to Pinboard last year as my centralized bookmark system in the cloud, after becoming disgusted with Mozilla's Sync. Many of my favorite AskMeFi articles are in Pinboard, along with other bookmarks I imported from previous systems. There is a small yearly charge. I just replied since you asked, no pressure, YMMV.
posted by forthright at 6:27 PM on February 18, 2016

Response by poster: I've been on Pinboard for years (it's great!), but I guess my tagging isn't thoughtful enough, especially for hard-to-describe links like this, which often just end up un-tagged. But going the other way, extra clever tagging can be counter-productive...like storing something in an extra-clever place that's so clever you can't find it again!
posted by Quisp Lover at 7:02 AM on February 19, 2016

« Older Can anyone recommend an van/taxi service in...   |   Can therapy counter-act hormones? Newer »