wall-mounted kitchen "instant hot water dispenser"
February 11, 2016 7:12 PM   Subscribe

I know it's a longshot, but I've seen miracles performed here before. Does anybody happen to know of an "instant hot water dispenser" (similar to the ones shown here), but are mounted to the backsplash above the sink instead of in the counter-top itself? I know that it would probably be possible to rig up something wall-mounted on my own using a standard counter-mounted version, but would rather pay for something ready to go out of the box. thank you.
posted by jimmereeno to Home & Garden (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
You'd want something like this. Unless you just want the tap protruding from the wall. That might be a little more difficult.
posted by poxandplague at 7:18 PM on February 11, 2016

The type you've pictured requires a plumbed water source, which, in most cases is under the sink already, and some sinks come with an extra hole for just such things. If you're willing to pay a plumber, or plumb it yourself, there doesn't seem to be a reason why you can't mount one anywhere you want.
posted by OHenryPacey at 9:57 PM on February 11, 2016

Best answer: It seems like that works by having an instant water heater attached to the plumbing that the faucet then exclusively uses with a "open-vent" type faucet. "Hot water dispensers need a special open-vent faucet. What makes this special is that it cuts off the water supply to the water tank when you close the faucet."

They do make wall-mount faucets, but I don't think they make "open-vent" wall-mount faucets. I have no idea if you could retrofit a wall-mount faucet to be "open-vent" according to what's needed with the instant hot-water unit. That would be a question for a plumber.

So yes, wall-mount faucets exist, but I don't think it would work with the instant-hot water unit. However you could build a small pedestal that sticks out from the backsplash and tile it to match to mount the faucets that come with the kit. You just need room to run the waterline to the unit and mount the faucet. I'm not sure how long of a line you could run without losing heat, though.

Not at all a plumber, just watch lots of house design shows and have plenty of kitchen-envy. So I may be totally wrong.
posted by Crystalinne at 1:15 AM on February 12, 2016

Also be aware of the electrical needs for the device. Every one I've seen has not a junction box, but something bigger than a junction box, underneath the sink to handle the power to the heater.
posted by k5.user at 7:15 AM on February 12, 2016

Best answer: Thanks, folks. I guess that what I want doesn't exist. With Crystalinne's suggestion above as a starting point, I searched on the keywords "open vent" to find somebody else looking for a similar solution... with no success.

Anybody have a contact with the insinkerator folks? You should let them know about this missed opportunity for at least 2 sales.

posted by jimmereeno at 5:24 PM on February 12, 2016

You could also search around for pot fillers. They're wall-mounted, although I'm not sure if they're built for hot water.
posted by jenmakes at 6:52 PM on February 12, 2016

Seconding the pot filler those are designed for attaching to the wall and you could certainly run hot water through them. Hook that up to a inline point of use water heater: like this one somewhere out of sight and connect the two using pex tubing.
posted by zenon at 9:16 PM on February 12, 2016

Any of the deck mount faucets with a gooseneck tube can be modified for wall mount. Just cut the crook half way though the 180 and then reattach the nozzle (may require drilling out the tube from the nozzle) with either solder or a food safe, high temperature, epoxy.
posted by Mitheral at 10:38 AM on February 13, 2016

« Older Fiction about the absurdities of academia?   |   A mom, a grandma, an aunt. What do you call her in... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.