Number Slammed by Tmo Rep – What's fair compensation?
February 3, 2016 6:54 PM   Subscribe

My brother's in college, so to help him out, I thought I'd see about adding him to my Tmo family plan, so I called them on Sunday to see about the prices… Then we both were without service until tonight. What should I ask for?

When I called Tmo the support rep was really pushy about getting my brother's current (Verizon) account number & PIN to "make sure we can port the number." (Pushy as in: calling back while I was on the phone with my brother about that info. Twice.)

Well, as soon as I gave the rep the info, the line cut off, and I called back to discover that the rep had replaced my number with my brother's! That means he was without service, and I received all his calls (and none of my own) until it was finally fixed (with great difficulty) today.

I think the original rep was acting sleazy – do they receive a sign-up bonus or something – and I'd like remuneration, but what do I ask for???
posted by jacob to Technology (3 answers total)
You could ask them to prorate your billing start date to the time service actually started on your brother's line and take the few days off your line. I wouldn't expect more than some money off one month's bill though.
posted by toomanycurls at 7:29 PM on February 3, 2016

Best answer: So, different situation (cable TV, contractor sales person decided to upgrade our service without actually asking anyone) but same basic idea - someone did something underhanded to hit a sales bonus. I called them on it and they did credit me for the price difference for a few months.

I'm with toomanycurls, I would go in asking for a month's credit for each line, being prepared that the end result will probably be somewhat less than what you want. I assume your brother is not under contract with Verizon or else you should probably ask them to pay any early termination fee that his leaving Verizon triggered.
posted by neilbert at 7:49 PM on February 3, 2016 [2 favorites]

If this was a wireline number, the FCC has pretty strict rules about that. I would second asking for a month of service and also file a complaint with the FCC or your own state's Public Services Commission. That page tells you which one to use based on your state.
posted by soelo at 7:38 AM on February 4, 2016

« Older in through the other door   |   Novice-Difficulty Camping +/- 2 hours from LA? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.