Movie where meat was the gift

I remember one scene from a movie -- but what movie is it? A boy is sitting on the floor watching TV. We know that the kid's dad is a butcher. The boy is thinking about what he wants for Christmas (there's a narrator) -- typical toys. The Dad walks in with a large package wrapped in white paper and throws it on the floor and says "Hey kid, Merry Christmas" in a totally flat tone. We know the package is a side of beef or something like that, but I can't remember how we know that.

The movie had grim vibe. The house was sparsely furnished, and the boy was cold. The house was very gray, and the light coming in from outside was harsh. It seemed really depressing and sad, even before the meat-gift. The boy is maybe 10 years old or so. The meat package makes a loud, dull thump when it hits the floor. Maybe the kid's dad is a meat packer instead of a butcher? The kid just turns his head and stares at the meat -- he doesn't really react, and just turns back and watches TV.

This has been driving me crazy for YEARS and I have been unable to Google the answer. I've occasionally mentioned this to other people, and it doesn't seem familiar to anyone I know. What was this?

If it helps, I was born in the 1970s, and I think I maybe probably saw this movie on TV in the 1980s. I guess it could have been a TV show, but in my head it's a movie.
posted by OrangeDisk to Media & Arts (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Parents?
posted by Rat Spatula at 6:43 AM on November 17, 2015

No, it's a movie, and I've seen it many times. Except, now that you ask about it, the title blanks from my mind. I thought this scene was a flashback. The mom's aghast at the present, but the dad says something about "don't you know how expensive meat is ?" .. (I think the dad was alcoholic/abusive as well.)
posted by k5.user at 6:43 AM on November 17, 2015

Best answer: Scrooged?
posted by rom1 at 6:47 AM on November 17, 2015 [6 favorites]

Best answer: Scrooged!
posted by Captain_Science at 6:48 AM on November 17, 2015 [4 favorites]

.... rom1 beat me to it by a minute!
posted by Captain_Science at 6:49 AM on November 17, 2015

The Butcher Boy?
posted by themadthinker at 6:49 AM on November 17, 2015

It is DEFINITELY Scrooged.
posted by leesh at 7:02 AM on November 17, 2015 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: WOW WOW WOW WOW! It is definitely Scrooged. Thank you MeFi!
posted by OrangeDisk at 7:09 AM on November 17, 2015

Aw, and now that we're all thinking about Scrooged let's take a moment to reflect on Bob Goulet's Old-Fashioned Cajun Christmas.
posted by BlahLaLa at 9:09 AM on November 17, 2015 [3 favorites]

I've never stopped laughing about The Night The Reindeer Died

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baFmgjwptic

And I've used the phrase "It's Lee Majors!" in conversation more than a few times.
posted by splen at 9:52 AM on November 17, 2015 [3 favorites]

« Older Looking for interesting/fun cities &...   |   Schools for the English-class challenged? Newer »