Kansas City Weekend

My mother and I are driving up to Kansas City this weekend for a coffee crawl and I am hoping to get suggestions for places to eat.

Been to Kansas City many times, was just hoping to get some recommendations for great local places to eat. Open to anything. Enjoyed in the past Blue Koi, Stephenson's (RIP), Jack Stack BBQ, and Classic Cup. Thanks so much!
posted by SarahElizaP to Travel & Transportation around Kansas City, MO (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Niecie's soul food has pig ear sandwiches.
posted by brujita at 8:51 PM on November 4, 2015

My friend in KC says "the rieger, happy gillis, columbus park ramen shop."

The Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange (Happy Hour and dinner only)
Happy Gillis Cafe & Hangout (breakfast and lunch only-- closes at 3PM, closed Mondays)
Columbus Park Ramen Shop (dinner only, opens at 5PM daily)
posted by Sunburnt at 9:27 PM on November 4, 2015

Best answer: I really like Chez Elle. Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop is also good, as is Cafe Gratitude. Oh, and lately I've gotten into La Bodega's happy hour.
posted by vegartanipla at 10:10 PM on November 4, 2015

Paul's Drive-In has delicious greasy fast food. Their onion rings are particularly tasty.
Arthur Bryant's original location is the best place for BBQ sandwiches. They have chain locations but the best food and atmosphere is at the downtown KC, MO location.
You Say Tomato is a really delightful breakfast spot.
The P&L District is a bit hip but is a nice dining out/drinking spot because of the concentration of local and nice places to eat and drink.
posted by toomanycurls at 10:48 PM on November 4, 2015

If you feel more adventurous than typical KC bbq fare, the Blue Nile has amazing Ethiopian, very welcoming place and casual.
(bluenilekc.com)
posted by artdrectr at 11:00 PM on November 4, 2015

I don't ever pass through KC without stopping at Gates BBQ.
posted by COD at 5:14 AM on November 5, 2015

Jazz is pretty great. The Chicken a la Mer is my favorite thing ever.
posted by almostmanda at 9:11 AM on November 5, 2015

Best answer: There is a newer bbq place on 39th St called Q39 that is really good. It gets packed, so make a reservation.

iPho Tower on Broadway is weird and delicious.

In Westport, Beer Kitchen, Westport Cafe, Port Fonda, and The Corner. The Corner is only open for breakfast and lunch, but has brunch items every day.

The Rieger (mentioned upthread) is fantastic but quite pricey by KC standards.
posted by slenderloris at 10:38 AM on November 5, 2015 [1 favorite]

Best answer: (Oklahoma) Joes has the best BBQ in the world according to me and Anthony Bourdain.
Eggtc has great breakfast food and coffee.
Waldo Pizza, Pizza 51, and Minsky's are the places to go for pizza.
Korma Sutra is the best indian food in town.
Jerusalem Cafe in Westport has excellent Middle Eastern fare.
posted by saul wright at 1:34 PM on November 5, 2015

Response by poster: Thanks for all the suggestions! We went to Oklahoma Joe's (awesome brisket), The Corner (delicious savory grits and croque monsieur) and Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop (great pad kraphoa).

I'll keep all of the other restaurants in mind for the next time I head to KC.
posted by SarahElizaP at 8:57 PM on November 8, 2015 [1 favorite]

« Older Discharged with delirium   |   Engagement Traditions for Men Newer »