Unusual and Interesting Food Choices for Business Luncheon to Impress?
November 4, 2015 7:59 AM   Subscribe

Seeking your ideas for interesting, unusual, hip and/or daring food choices in Chicago for a business luncheon on Friday.

I work in Chicago, near the Art Institute (the southeast end of the Loop). One of the attorneys for whom I work has a business gathering of about 10-15 people whom he would like to impress. He is hosting a lunch on Friday at our firm which is centered around local startups, and is in search of interesting, unusual, hip and/or daring food choices. He's not looking to impress via extravagance -- more through the choices themselves -- but could probably spend as much as $50 a head if need be. I'm fairly meat-and-potatoes and don't have any ideas, but would appreciate your thoughts!
posted by WCityMike to Food & Drink (6 answers total)

just trying to think differently here - how about sandwiches, coffee, and a statement saying he donated most of the money to useful cause?
posted by andrewcooke at 8:09 AM on November 4, 2015 [2 favorites]

I haven't been there, but the Chicago Athletic Association (on Michigan between Madison & Monroe) just opened a month or two ago, with restaurants by megahip conglomerate Land & Sea Dept. The Cherry Circle Room offers fancy-pants lunch with nice fonts.

Russian Tea Time is fairly unusual but aggressively uncool.
posted by theodolite at 8:13 AM on November 4, 2015 [2 favorites]

I think Russian Team Time is so uncool it wraps around to being cool.
posted by bgal81 at 8:26 AM on November 4, 2015 [3 favorites]

Stephanie Izard's Little Goat Diner does catering, it seems. The diner also has a private event space.

Now I'm kind of curious what the goat chili tastes like.
posted by JoeZydeco at 9:06 AM on November 4, 2015

What if you got a couple different food trucks to cater?
posted by notjustthefish at 9:32 AM on November 4, 2015 [1 favorite]

Love the food truck idea!

A few more suggestions for trendy + delicious places that will cater:
Hapa Chicago (Filipino/fusion - only does catering/special events currently)
Small's (Filipino-inspired barbecue; does excellent vegetable dishes as well)
Belly Shack (Asian fusion, street-food inspired)
Antique Taco (horchata milkshakes highly recommended!)
Black Dog Gelato (gelato only)
Arbor Projects (farm-to-table/locally sourced concept; haven't actually been here yet, but they are killing it on Instagram)
posted by staraling at 5:53 PM on November 4, 2015 [1 favorite]

« Older Rhymes in that ol' 5A, 5A, 7B; 5C, 5C, 7B...   |   Are batteries that can't power a smoke detector... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.