Best or cheapest horseback riding in Iceland

My girlfriend and I are experienced riders but do not want to spend over $100 for a couple of hours for a tour. Are there any cheaper services or ones that you have experience that are worth that amount?

I know horseback riding has been recommended a million times, but there have never been any specific places or experiences that have been delved into.
posted by senterstyle to Travel & Transportation around Iceland (3 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: I am a fairly experienced rider, and I had a GREAT experience at Kalfholt (near Selfoss) this summer.

My dad and I went on a ride, and even though he had never been on a horse before (!!) Our awesome guide put him on a super patient horse, and we had an amazing ride. We were the only ones on the tour, rode for 3 hours through the countryside, and had an incredible time, going at a super-fast tolt for a lot of it. My dad was shocked that the horse was so smooth and well-trained. In all my years of riding, I don't know if I've ever had quite as much fun. Gaited horses are the best.

I was happy to see that the horses were really well looked after...it's a smaller farm. Very unlike some of the huge tourist operations you'll see where packs of 40 tourists plod along on sullen-looking horses. And we got awesome coffee and donuts at the end, made, I was told, by an Icelandic grandmother.

All in all, would highly recommend, and at 8500 kronur for 2 hours, I thought it was pretty affordable. I am planning to go back and go on one of their multi-day tours in the next few years. A
posted by sparringnarwhal at 8:52 PM on November 1, 2015 [9 favorites]

If you're going to be in the Akureyri region, you might check out Polar Hestar. A friend of mine, who is an advanced beginner, went on one of their half day tours and was very pleased with it.

It's about a 30-minute drive from Akureyri, and they provide a shuttle service, I think (I drove my friend there).
posted by brianogilvie at 9:12 AM on November 2, 2015

I did a ride with ├Źslenski Hesturinn. Don't remember the exact price but fairly sure it was less than $100. The whole experience was great. A bus picked everyone up in Reykjavik and drove us out (and back!), all the staff were very friendly and helpful, the scenery was gorgeous, and they have someone taking photographs that they later email you. It was a half day tour. Also their Instagram account is a lovely reminder of the experience.
posted by PaulaSchultz at 4:32 PM on November 2, 2015

« Older Getting close to the AllLivesMatter bs   |   Need distracting movies/tv to get through the bad... Newer »