Austin Restaurant for a Date

I'm looking for a good restaurant to take a date to in Austin. Suggestions?
posted by Sangermaine to Human Relations (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Not sure what style you're looking for. I think if I had a date plan I'd head to Magnolia Cafe on S. Congress. Or for something less classy but more greasy and fun, you may want to try the Alamo Drafthouse (food with movies & entertainment).

The only area I did not like was the Barton Springs Rd restaurants; too crowded and no place to park.
posted by rolypolyman at 10:30 AM on December 10, 2005

Fonda San Miguel, Castle Hill, Wink (My current favorite)
posted by Lord_Pall at 10:42 AM on December 10, 2005

Price range? Atmosphere -- lively/romantic/??? First date? More info needed to answer.
posted by fourstar at 11:15 AM on December 10, 2005

Lord_Pall's suggestions were great. I'd add Starlite, Aquarelle, and I've also had some luck with Trulucks. For a cheaper date, the Drafthouse is great as well. I love Magnolia for 3am post-partying snacks, but for a date place its not very romantic. Citysearch has some lists of romantic restaurants too, maybe check there.
posted by deafweatherman at 11:35 AM on December 10, 2005

Jovita's. My god is that food good.
posted by notsnot at 12:27 PM on December 10, 2005

I'm going to austin next week- FSM sunday brunch is a standard stop whenever I go. Could you provide a little more detail on your recommendations? For example, what kind of food is Jovita's?
posted by carterk at 12:36 PM on December 10, 2005

I can't say enough about Zoot's! So, I will leave you with the link.
posted by nimsey lou at 12:47 PM on December 10, 2005

Thanks for all the help so far!
fourstar
It's a first date, and price doesn't really matter that much. Nothing too too fancy, just a nice place to eat and talk.
posted by Sangermaine at 12:49 PM on December 10, 2005

Carterk...
Jovita's is mexican food. But if you are going to go for Mexican, then Curra's is the place. There are 2. one is much smaller than the other. So I would recommend the one in North Austin for a date. BTW...There can be quite a wait on the weekends to get in.
posted by nimsey lou at 1:10 PM on December 10, 2005

I've always like Mars, but haven't been there in a while.
posted by birdherder at 1:17 PM on December 10, 2005

Some Italian spots to balance out the other suggestions: Vespaio (usually very busy) or Tree House (not as much), each on different sections of South Congress. (Vespaio's location is fun for an apr├Ęs-meal walk, with plenty of boutique stores nearby.)
posted by skyboy at 1:43 PM on December 10, 2005

These are all good suggestions. As I understand it, Aquarelle is extremely expensive; Wink is very expensive and has miniscule portions. The Alamo is great fun, but not a great first-date venue (though if you know for a fact that she'd be game, you could take her to a Sinus show).
posted by adamrice at 1:57 PM on December 10, 2005

I forgot Vespaio, I went on a date there about a week ago and the food was excellent and reasonably price. Also, El Chile on Manor has some excellent "high-end" mexican food at an extremely reasonable price. Great atmosphere as well. And their drink menu is awesome.
posted by deafweatherman at 2:39 PM on December 10, 2005

My second time time posting an answer and it's about food in Austin again. Go figure. This is actually a pretty tough question.

I love Wink, but it's small and expensive. Very expensive.
I love Vespaio, but it's concrete floor and tin ceiling make it a very loud place for a get-to-know-you date.
Fonda is a great choice, but make reservations. My wife and I waited for an hour on Friday.
For Mexican, I heartily endorse El Azteca on the East side for straight-up goodness, Polvo's on S. First for gritty ambience and damn fine food, Curra's for good Interior and Yucateca cuisine in a hippish environment and Vivo Cocina on Manor Rd. for the crack of salsas (if you like garlic), San Antonio style puffy tacos and a very hip environment. Vivo also gives every lady a rose as they walk out the door. Good for dates, but kinda loud.

My highest recommendation:
East Side Cafe - Ask the hostess for a quiet, out of the way table. The food is always fresh and tasty. The building is a beautiful, old house. The wine list is quite good. It's not my favorite restaurant, but it is excellent date place. The graden makes for a nice little stroll after dinner and possibly a moonlit smooch (though definitely better during the fertile seasons).
posted by Seamus at 2:21 PM on December 11, 2005

I recommend El Sol y la Luna on South Congress Avenue. After dinner, you can walk over to Joe's for coffee and (sometimes) live music.
posted by gigawhat? at 3:28 PM on December 12, 2005

« Older Google not adding my sites   |   phpBB or SMF Newer »