Nice guy is nice. Also, texting a lot.

A guy I started talking to on a dating website texts me continually after I leave work in the evenings, and now wants to talk on the phone before our first date. He's been SUPER nice and he's clearly psyched. But I feel suffocated, and our first date isn't even for another 3 days.

On one hand, I'm like, "Ok, a single date probably can't hurt." On the other hand, I've mentioned in no uncertain terms to this guy that I have some demanding obligations in my life, and he seems not to have heard me at all-- instead just texting and texting all evening with questions about me, what am I doing, how was my day, etc., etc.

Maybe I didn't convey appropriately that I am not looking for intensity from a dude, and if that's the case, then it's my fault. I'm already off the website-- obviously the prospect of dating demands revisiting.

But in the immediate term, what do I do about this given my decimated interest? Is it better to tell him sooner and cancel going out?
posted by anonymous to Human Relations (44 answers total)

Only you can decide whether you still want to go on a date in this situation, but I think it might be fair to start off by giving him a clear "I'm looking forward to meeting you - would you mind if we hold off on the texting and call until we meet first? I'm not a big texter."

If he refuses to respect that clear direction, then yeah, I'd cancel and make it clear that's why.
posted by Karaage at 12:38 AM on October 14, 2015 [45 favorites]

Why can't you just tell him you're really busy and whilst you're enjoying chatting to him you cannot and will not sustain this intense level of communication. You're still happy to meet (if that's the case) but he's got to be realistic about the level of communication you can sustain. Then see how he reacts. If he can't accommodate that request he's probably not suitable even if you did meet because you'll not be able to commit as much time as he seems to want.
posted by koahiatamadl at 12:46 AM on October 14, 2015

"I feel suffocated"
"he seems not to have heard me at all"
"my decimated interest"

Duuuuude, life is short. Cut him loose. You haven't even met him. Just text him back you've changed your mind about the date and wish him luck in the future. End of. You don't need to tell him anything, you're allowed to change your mind for whatever reason and 3 days is plenty of notice.
posted by like_neon at 1:24 AM on October 14, 2015 [65 favorites]

If he's this intense before you've ever even gone on a single date, imagine how much MORE intense he'll get afterwards --- you call him 'nice', but honestly he sounds more like 'boundary pushing' or 'annoying', and you have every right to tell him to back off.

If sounds like part of the problem is simply that YOU don't want to be rude or hurt his feelings by straight-out telling him to stop, but that's exactly what you have to do: tell him to stop texting or calling you more than once or twice a day (or whatever you're comfortable with) --- TELL him, don't hint around at it, and don't keep putting up with it out of some misguided sense of good manners. TELL him to stop, or that first date is off. And if you do go out with him, and he resumes his over-texting afterwards? Drop him, because refusing to listen to you like that can get into incipient-stalker territory.
posted by easily confused at 1:33 AM on October 14, 2015 [10 favorites]

I've been feeling lately that text frequency is a cultural thing. There are definitely people who text chat at really high frequency and don't mean anything by it - at the same time there are those who use it more sparingly (and perhaps more functionally). You may be at one end of this spectrum and he may be at the other. I think that there have been more than a few AskMes where the Mefite asking wants to know why someone isn't texting as frequently as they are in various situations.

That said, if his behavior is making you feel uncomfortable, you should disengage. Feeling uncomfortable about meeting a stranger is not good.
posted by sciencegeek at 2:46 AM on October 14, 2015 [6 favorites]

That's happened to me, and I hate the phone and think: we haven't even met, what is there to talk about? And Every Single time I have consequently decided not to meet them they have left me very nasty voice mails (like creepy) and I realise that it was better I never actually met them if this was how creepy they'd be to a stranger. Ymmv but there are loads of nice guys to date who don't have such a high level of contact need with people they don't yet know well enough to warrant it.
posted by flink at 2:52 AM on October 14, 2015 [25 favorites]

He's not in love with you; he's in love with his idealized image of you.

I'd go on the date but maybe meet at 4:00 pm at Starbucks, have one drink, a walk around the block, and then bounce.

Every other text, just respond, "Looking forward to meeting you!"
posted by Piedmont_Americana at 3:47 AM on October 14, 2015 [1 favorite]

"Maybe I didn't convey appropriately that I am not looking for intensity from a dude,.."

If this is possibly the case, and if your perception otherwise is that he's a nice guy, what do you have to lose? cut him off now or cut him off later, but if you do ONE date, and clarify your expectations, it might work out...
posted by HuronBob at 3:48 AM on October 14, 2015 [3 favorites]

Do you feel not-interested enough that you specifically don't want to go, or are you just worried that it's not fair to show up since you are not that interested? I don't think it's unfair to show up if you're hesitant about him.

If you're up for meeting him, still go. In the meantime, say something like "I really prefer to get to know people in person/I'm not a big phone person/I have a hard time connecting over text before I've met someone in person/etc."

If you're not feeling up for it, 3 days is enough time to cancel without being a jerk. But like flink describes, he might call you a jerk anyway. That is his issue, not yours.
posted by needs more cowbell at 3:59 AM on October 14, 2015

If he still seems interesting, I say give the first date a shot...but if he pulls his phone out even once you stop the date right there.
posted by JoeZydeco at 4:15 AM on October 14, 2015 [3 favorites]

I don't understand why more women are not encouraged to use words to say what we mean.

"Hey listen, I told you my time is limited between now and Saturday. I don't have the capcity to chat with you until then. I'll see you at Starbucks at 3?"

I genuinely think his response will be indicative of where this will go. Including being indicative of "Yeah no I am cancelling because you are scaring the shit out of me."
posted by DarlingBri at 4:34 AM on October 14, 2015 [78 favorites]

Either take DarlingBri's excellent advice and proactively ask him to stop, or use the block function on your phone to prevent his texts from bothering you at this busy time.

Or just stop responding entirely, and continue on living your life. Just because a man texts you does not mean you owe him any type of a response.
posted by hush at 4:48 AM on October 14, 2015 [6 favorites]

I've mentioned in no uncertain terms to this guy that I have some demanding obligations in my life, and he seems not to have heard me at all-- instead just texting and texting all evening with questions about me, what am I doing, how was my day, etc., etc.

I don't follow your logic from you having demanding obligations to his texting being inappropriate. What does "demanding obligations" even mean? I'd take it as a big-picture relationship hint rather than a day-to-day chit-chat hint, but either way it's a hint.

Have you told him "I'm not a texter, let's save it for when we meet"? Are you replying to his texts even if you don't want to?

It's on you to make your boundaries clear. This guy may be a boundary pusher or even a creeper but at this point it's not fair to say. He's just acting out whatever online-dating script he's learned. A lot of people love that text chit-chat. If you don't, then say so.
posted by headnsouth at 4:52 AM on October 14, 2015 [14 favorites]

I had a really similar situation once- we couldn't meet in person right away, and he kept texting and also wanted to talk on the phone (I told him I wasn't a big phone person and would rather meet in person). By the time the date rolled around, I was so annoyed by the constant texting that I also didn't want to go. I almost cancelled. Even walking to meet him, I was wishing I could cancel and feeling cranky. As it turned out, he was even better looking than his photos, funny and charming, and we had a great time. (I would have loved to go out again, but he apparently didn't feel the same way, because he never called!). Anyway, I was glad I gave him a chance.

Although it's possible this guy is "in love with an idealized image of you" as someone says above, it's also very possible he just texts a lot. If the average teenager texts 60 times a day, so do some adults. If you don't feel like meeting him, fine, but you might as well first just try saying you're really busy at the moment and don't have time for texting, or you don't like texting, or you'd rather meet in person before texting a lot, and see how he responds. If it's really about time, though, do you have time for a relationship at all?
posted by three_red_balloons at 5:12 AM on October 14, 2015 [8 favorites]

You don't owe this guy a single thing. Not a date, not a response to texts, not an even an explanation. The reason it seems like he didn't hear you is probably because he didn't hear you. It might be intentional, or not, or maybe you've been unclear. What is clear is that the two of you aren't synced communication wise. That's as good a reason as any to say "a date with you won't work out after all." and then go on with your life.

If you want to give him a chance, I think DarlingBri's advice is the way to go.
posted by Gygesringtone at 6:00 AM on October 14, 2015 [4 favorites]

Nobody can know what this guy 'is', 'thinks', 'wants', etc. so that's not the problem here. The problem is how to set boundaries and be heard, for you. Try different communication styles, and be clear about what you feel is ok in terms of communication from him and what isn't. Even the best among us (dudes) occasionally get over-enthusiastic. Just tell him about "over", don't quench the "enthusiastic."

If he persists in not listening to your requests after another two days, call off the date.
posted by Namlit at 6:08 AM on October 14, 2015 [2 favorites]

yeah some people are just really into texting or talking before meeting up. that's not what I really like to do, so I make that clear at first - "hey, here's my number. text me if anything comes up and you aren't able to meet on (insert day here)"

I've gotten a couple dudes who text randomly before the date but for the most part, they don't. the ones who do, I take a minute to respond once in the evening to whatever their texts were but that's it - no back-and-forth. like everyone else in this thread, it really is about boundaries and if this person pushes on yours, then that might be a sign that you aren't a great match. BUT you gotta give him a boundary first :)
posted by kerning at 6:15 AM on October 14, 2015 [2 favorites]

What does he do if you don't respond? If you're feeling obligated to respond and therefore do, he may see that as a "let's continue this conversation" sign.

Personally, I'd just not respond until I really do have time for and interest in a text conversation. If he continues to text even if you don't respond, then I'd say "Hey I'm not really a big texter so this many texts is overwhelming me [add a "haha" or "lol" or smiley if you want to soften it a bit]. Looking forward to seeing you Saturday."

If he keeps texting anything other than "So sorry! My bad, I'll see you Saturday" then feel free to cancel the date.
posted by misskaz at 6:28 AM on October 14, 2015 [3 favorites]

This is how it will go (based on my past experiences):

1) You are creeped out. Not sure if to cancel or not.
2) Decide to not cancel. He seems nice enough, why not?
3) Go on the date. Within five minutes, know it's going to be a long hour. You try to come up with excuses to leave earlier.
4) Finally, you get to leave. You release a big breath after, and look forward to your evening. Well, that was over with! No guilt!
5) He texts and texts. Unaware that it wasn't the best date. You demur, and eventually say it's "bad timing"

The problem here is that you could just end it now, and have a perfectly nice evening, or even better free your evening for hanging out with people you like or meet better people.

I suggest the latter.
posted by pando11 at 7:06 AM on October 14, 2015 [8 favorites]

I mean, if you do want to go on the date, there is also the option to go on a very casual coffee date, decide 5 minutes in that it isn't working, stand up and say, "I'm sorry, but I need to leave. This isn't going to work out. I shouldn't have confirmed the date, here let me pay for your latte. Take care." And then block his number from your phone on your way out the door. Deciding to go on the date doesn't mean you have to give up all personal agency or be passive about it.

You can tell someone directly that you don't want to date them, just like you can tell someone directly that they need to dial way back on the texting because they're pissing you off.
posted by phunniemee at 7:13 AM on October 14, 2015 [5 favorites]

So, keep in mind that some people don't look at texting as RESPOND RIGHT NOW communication. I mean, I do not know the content of these messages but he may just be stream-of-conciousness-ing at you and really has no expectation that you respond right away.

If that is the case, then his communication may be more appropriate for email for you, or maybe he just needs to like, journal that shit and ask you in person when he sees you. I think misskaz has it -- let him know that for YOU texting is an immediate response medium and it's making you feel itchy that you're getting so many texts, but you know, the interest is appreciated in that it is lovely that he's curious and engaging and is taking Aziz Ansari's advice about doing more than saying, " 'sup?" in text messages.
posted by Medieval Maven at 7:19 AM on October 14, 2015

In my experience, frequent texting like this is a massive turnoff. An anecdote: I was on OKCupid, and this man with a carefully crafted profile (seriously, it was like he studied the women in this town and told us exactly what we wanted to hear. I was too naive to realize that right away) sent me some thoughtful messages and we exchanged numbers. There was a barrage of texts ("How's your day, beautiful?") that felt premature and icky, but I shrugged it off. Finally it was too much and I cancelled, and he sent a wave of nasty emojis and accompanying "ugh all women are the same"-type language.

THEN when complaining to a girlfriend about what an ass he was, she pointed out that she'd noticed him on several other dating sites in addition to OKCupid. We found him on Facebook and read a series of desperate status updates where he yearns for a girlfriend.

TL;DR he may be desperate and have weird expectations for a relationship, and he may be playing you simultaneously with other women he's auditioning for the role of Girlfriend. I say cancel.
posted by witchen at 7:51 AM on October 14, 2015 [4 favorites]

Some people also don't understand why you can't text even though you're busy. I took a big career job a few months ago which was quite a step up from my previous position, and I had to tell my best friend, a serial and voluminous texter, "Look, I still want to talk to you, but unfortunately I'm a lot busier during the workday now and cannot respond to all of this like I used to."

Don't assume the worst (boundary issues, sociopath, stalker, whatever), tell the guy "I don't have time for texting conversations but I'm looking forward to meeting you!" and see what his response is. I agree with other people that his response to this will be more indicative of the type of guy he is than all the texting, which absent context doesn't mean all that much.
posted by Automocar at 8:14 AM on October 14, 2015 [3 favorites]

Yeah, I think you want to be really clear with him that the issue is not that you are busy, but that you want him to text/call you less, period. I'd say: "Hey, I think we're moving a little too fast with all the texts and calls. You seem really nice and I'd still like to go on a date, but maybe we can pull back on the texting/calling a little and just see how it goes."

Bad response: he argues with you and/or continues to do the thing
Good response: "OK, I see. I'm definitely someone who likes to chat a lot. What would be better for you? Maybe we can meet in the middle."

Something like this essentially happened to a friend of mine, and the guy responded very courteously and stopped contacting her as frequently. She told him she wanted to see him as friends first and get to know him better, which he was fine with, and he didn't even mind that she went on some other dates while they were hanging out as friends. They have been dating for several years and now live together! My original advice for her was "he's making you uncomfortable, just block him!" but his behavior afterward was a big green flag and I can see why it worked out.
posted by capricorn at 8:27 AM on October 14, 2015 [6 favorites]

You've already started going off him before you've been on a date? This does not bode well!

For what it's worth, this would drive me absolutely bonkers too. Some people like this amount of contact but I would feel stifled and like the person had a lot of time on their hands. Questions about "how are you doing?" are particularly irritating because it seems like an attempt to have a conversation when really there is nothing to talk about. If you knew each other well I would chalk it down to the fact that he really really likes you but as he barely knows you I'm thinking "weird" and "cancel"...
posted by intensitymultiply at 8:35 AM on October 14, 2015

This wouldn't work for me and I'd cancel. Whether or not I'd been clear to him that it was Too Much, it would still be Too Much for me. I don't want to have to stress out and struggle to enforce perfectly reasonably boundaries with someone I've never even met, you know? Life is short, you both deserve to date someone whose communication style is more compatible.

I know others who are nicer than me will argue you owe him a chance, but I feel like you already gave him one and it's not working for you? If this is the case, I don't think you should feel indebted just because he seems to have so much invested in (his idea of) you.
posted by kapers at 9:07 AM on October 14, 2015 [4 favorites]

I've had people do this and it really doesn't even have much to do with you or their interest in you- they're mostly just chatting for their own entertainment.
posted by zutalors! at 9:55 AM on October 14, 2015 [1 favorite]

I've mentioned in no uncertain terms to this guy that I have some demanding obligations in my life

Did you say something specific like I can't respond to texts or I prefer to meet up before we talk much, etc. or did you only say "I have demanding obligations right now." because no one is a mind reader. If you keep responding to the texts, how on earth is it clear that you don't want to talk?

Just be clear and honest from now on. Someone's reaction to a normal and perfectly fine boundary will tell you everything you need to know about them.

This is a great learning opportunity. I'm curious how he responds! Good luck.
posted by OnTheLastCastle at 9:57 AM on October 14, 2015 [3 favorites]

Don't say "I have some demanding obligations in my life." Say "I'm sorry, I really don't have time to talk right now. See you Friday?" and then don't respond to any of his texts until you've actually met.

Just so you know, days of continuous texting from someone you haven't met yet is A LOT. I'm pro-texting, and even in favor of lots of mindless chatter type texting, texting in the early stages of a relationship, etc. But if you haven't even met yet?

I find lots of communication before your first date in an online dating context to be bad news. I can't put into words exactly why I feel this way, but, I don't know, it often predicts a sort of wad-blowing? Like when you finally do meet, the person almost certainly won't live up to their image online and in texts, and it just whips up the intensity of the thing too much. I prefer to use dating apps to arrange dates, and form my impression of the person based on meeting them. Maybe not everyone is this way, but you seem to also be this way, and it's an absolutely OK way to be.
posted by Sara C. at 10:27 AM on October 14, 2015 [2 favorites]

Don't say "I have some demanding obligations in my life." Say "I'm sorry, I really don't have time to talk right now. See you Friday?."

FTFY. And FTFme. And FTFanyone else who feels the need to apologize for legitimate personal preferences.
posted by headnsouth at 11:31 AM on October 14, 2015 [7 favorites]

I suggest a test text in response, i.e.: "I'm flattered by your interest but feeling swamped by your texts. I also want to wait to talk for when we meet."

If you get something appropriate like an apology for all the messaging and that he'll look forward to meeting, great. If you get anything else, I'd cancel and just say that it doesn't seem like your communication styles are in sync.

I agree with other commentators in this thread that this may be a red flag, but then again it may not -- ergo maybe test text first before deciding.
posted by bearwife at 11:57 AM on October 14, 2015 [2 favorites]

I actually recently said, "hey let's save something for when we meet up" and we ended up going out a few times, but it ended up being part of why he thought I didn't like him. But with that particular guy, the whole time he thought I didn't like him no matter what i said.He wasn't crazy or anything, I just felt like he saw relationships taking different beats than I did.
posted by zutalors! at 12:17 PM on October 14, 2015 [2 favorites]

I actually recently said, "hey let's save something for when we meet up"

I did this recently as well. The response was along the lines of, "we're not so boring that we will run out of things to talk about when we meet." To her credit, she was right and we've been getting along swimmingly. Some people just are chattier via text (I chalk it up as being generational in my case), so this may be the case here.
posted by Tanizaki at 12:55 PM on October 14, 2015 [1 favorite]

I'm kind of wondering if he is texting you too much, or if you're just overreacting a little. Sometimes I ignore texts or don't respond until the next day. My friends do the same thing to me. I think you are treating text messages as something you need to drop everything and respond to immediately, and perhaps he views texting differently. I mean, how much is he really texting you? You make him sound like a stalker, but if you are responding to everything he says right away, then of course he thinks you aren't busy and you are up for chatting with him. How would he possibly know you don't want to talk if you are talking to him? The simple answer may be to note his interest in getting to know you and then don't respond until you feel like talking to him. If you're not into the guy, I agree, life is short, just cut him loose. But sometimes people have different communication styles on the electronic medium, but that doesn't necessarily translate to how they interact in person.

I also agree that people who text like this may also just be filling the time, trying to entertain themselves. It's empty small talk, updates about the day, etc. It's an all-day long conversation, the way you might play Words With Friends/Scramble with a friend on your phone in pieces throughout an entire day. It may not necessarily be a sign of interest or intensity, but just idly passing the time with a new contact.
posted by AppleTurnover at 1:17 PM on October 14, 2015 [1 favorite]

I cancelled a first date with a guy who was doing this - constant emails and texts, along with comments that were slightly creepy. After I'd said that I'd changed my mind about meeting him he ramped up the contact until I blocked him.

I felt I'd dodged a bullet, if he acted like that with someone he'd never even met.
posted by essexjan at 1:40 PM on October 14, 2015

Flink and probably others already said it, but you'll feel much better after you do this and he responds with a huge stream of hatred or 100 texts asking why you cancelled and how much fun it was going to be and what could have gone wrong and how can he fix it and bla bla bla bla bla.

A lot of these replies might seem projection-y, but sooo many of my friends have stories exactly like this. It's extremely rare for someone to just be really chatty over text BEFORE the first date and not get weirder.
posted by emptythought at 1:48 PM on October 14, 2015 [4 favorites]

I text constantly all the time, no matter how busy I am, as long as I'm in a place with wifi. So do most of my friends. I'm unclear on if you have been responding to his texts? If he's texting a lot and you're responding to them, how is he supposed to know you don't like it? If he's texting a lot, you ignore him, and he still texts a lot, that's weird.
posted by a strong female character at 3:34 PM on October 14, 2015 [2 favorites]

In 10 years (off and on) of online dating, the frequent/inappropriate texter ALWAYS turned out to be someone I wasted an hourlong (or sometimes longer if I couldn't get out of it) date with. Move on.
posted by nubianinthedesert at 4:26 PM on October 14, 2015 [5 favorites]

A guy I started talking to on a dating website texts me continually after I leave work in the evenings, and now wants to talk on the phone before our first date. He's been SUPER nice and he's clearly psyched. But I feel suffocated, and our first date isn't even for another 3 days...

Hmm. I feel like your feeling of suffocation is something you should be listening to. This isn't about him, it's about you: what do you want? Are you excited to see him at this point, or are you just trying to be 'fair' to him?

First off, I wonder why you say he's SUPER nice. Is he nice in the sense of being thoughtful, or nice in the sense of being solicitous and polite? Courtesy can mask bad intentions; sometimes, unfortunately, and especially in dating, it can be a way to try to disarm other people. But secondly, he seems to have ignored the one boundary you put in place before you even met him. Men like that never turn out to be genuinely nice people.

what do I do about this given my decimated interest? Is it better to tell him sooner and cancel going out?

Yes, it is. There's basically no conceivable scenario where someone who behaves like this turns out to be someone you want to know. Cut him off hard and fast. There are soooo many other people out there.

Maybe I didn't convey appropriately that I am not looking for intensity from a dude, and if that's the case, then it's my fault.

I hear what you're saying, but I think you're gratuitously taking blame for not liking the way someone's behaving toward you. There's no "fault" on your part here.
posted by clockzero at 6:18 PM on October 14, 2015 [3 favorites]

A single date can hurt, if he turns out to be a psycho stalker. And him having no boundaries and pretty much text-stalking you already....does not bode well.
posted by jenfullmoon at 7:08 PM on October 14, 2015 [2 favorites]

I've had this experience before and was totally creeped out. Every day for two weeks before the date I was getting texts and phone calls which were flattering at first but then became uber creepy. He was a friend of my cousin -- I met him at a party and then he got my number from my cousin. (Hazards of dating in a small community!)

I was whinging about it to a friend whilst we were waiting to go into a movie and a guy in front of us in the line turned around and said "just tell him you're not interested!" which was like a revelation from heaven.

So I texted him a polite "thanks but no thanks" and cancelled the date. He seemed fine with that and off we went except I heard a couple of weeks later from my mum that my cousin's mum was no longer going to set me up with guys because apparently I'm mean to them. So not only did I get completely creeped out, I'm a bitch as well!

So, long story short, just tell him you're not interested. If you're feeling really creeped out you don't have to put yourself through the date with him. "You never know" is a terrible reason to do something that feels really sketchy.
posted by prettypretty at 9:37 PM on October 14, 2015 [5 favorites]

Big imbalances in a relationship cause declines in attraction. Plus "nice guys" aren't really nice. There are expectations that go along with all of his "support" and nice things he says.
posted by Ironmouth at 12:50 PM on October 15, 2015 [2 favorites]

I can't read all the answers but wanted to share my perspective. I recently met someone online and we seemed to click instantly. We texted continuously all of the next day and then after work he called me. Hearing his voice just changed everything. He had a grating accent. He talked about sports. He didn't stop to let me speak. It didn't seem like we had anything in common after all.

So, I'd recommend talking before the texting gets out of hand.
posted by Dragonness at 1:21 PM on October 16, 2015

This is so great!
posted by bendy at 7:08 PM on March 23, 2016

« Older Something less saccharine than "Follow your heart"...   |   The Heroine's Journey Newer »