Who popped the weasel around 1980?

1980-ish Top 40 version of "Pop Goes the Weasel" -- who was it by?

Around 1980, I heard a New Wave-ish song on the radio a bunch that I assumed was called "That's the way the money goes". (Male voice, sung a bit menacingly.) Seeking it out some years later, I determined that the lyric following it (female voice, singing ethereally) was "Pop goes the weasel". For reasons unexplained, I have recently been quite curious to hear it again. I haven't figured out how to Google it without being swamped by the false positives.
posted by Aknaton to Media & Arts (12 answers total)

Are you thinking of 3rd Bass? (circa 1990)
posted by keswick at 10:47 PM on December 7, 2005

Do you mean "Pop goes the world" by Men Without Hats?
posted by runningdogofcapitalism at 11:28 PM on December 7, 2005

Sample (from Best Of disc)
posted by dhartung at 11:41 PM on December 7, 2005

IIRC, "That's The Way the Money Goes" might have been a song by M, the guy who did "Pop Muzik". I don't remember a "Pop Goes the Weasel" part of the song, but then again, I barely remember the song.
posted by litlnemo at 11:50 PM on December 7, 2005

"Pop Goes the World" was from quite a bit later, about 1987 or so. And it doesn't contain "Pop Goes The Weasel" despite the lyrics.
posted by litlnemo at 11:51 PM on December 7, 2005

Best answer: Robin Scott, who christened himself "M" and had a massive early-eighties hit with"Pop Muzik," also had a song on the same album called "That's the Way the Money Goes." I don't know where to find a full mp3, but you can go to Amazon and hear a sample.
posted by feathermeat at 11:53 PM on December 7, 2005

Best answer: Ah, I see that M did have a song called "That's The Way The Money Goes," and the timing would be right. Now I just need to track down the mp3...
posted by litlnemo at 11:53 PM on December 7, 2005

Ah, it's on the iTunes Music Store. The chorus has "That's the way the money goes/pop goes the people" so I think that's definitely it.
posted by litlnemo at 11:56 PM on December 7, 2005

There was a song in the late 80's, early 90's called "Pop Goes the Weasel" by 3rd Bass. It was about the sorry state of rap and used a sample from Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer".

The chorus went "Pop pop goes the weasel, the weasel, pop goes the weasel 'cause the weasel goes pop!" except I replease "the weasel" with "Caviezel", as in the actor Jim.
posted by gnomeloaf at 6:03 AM on December 8, 2005

except that upon closer reading of the question, it's not what you're looking for at all. Sorry...

(returning to the woodwork)
posted by gnomeloaf at 6:21 AM on December 8, 2005

Response by poster: That's the way the song goes! Pop goes the question! Thanks, AskMe!

I almost included "It sounds vaguely like Pop Muzik" in the original question... it's always easy once you know how, I guess.
posted by Aknaton at 8:49 AM on December 8, 2005

« Older Scanner for library research?   |   What are/where can I buy good, inexpensive darts? Newer »