I don't even know where to start

I really enjoy the music on the show Empire, especially when the two brothers team up on a song. I really don't have a clue about who's good in hip hop, though. What albums should I buy if I want to hear more?
posted by blnkfrnk to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Run The Jewels
posted by PenDevil at 4:34 AM on September 25, 2015

This is an incredibly broad question but: Kanye West and Jay-Z - Watch the Throne do it do it do it
posted by capricorn at 6:26 AM on September 25, 2015

Also in terms of enjoying Empire's music, two of the members of Pentatonix made a medley out of a number of the songs and I'm currently a little obsessed with it.
posted by vegartanipla at 6:44 AM on September 25, 2015

The new Kendrick Lamar.
posted by lumensimus at 6:56 AM on September 25, 2015

jamal pulls pretty heavily from drake, frank ocean, and various periods of usher's career.

hakeem harkens to a type of rapper that isn't really reflective anything going on now- but you might look towards future or migos or wiz khalifa for that. maybe also bow wow or tyga, but i don't listen to them so i can't be sure about that.

while i love kendrick lamar and run the jewels and think both are great, they don't really feature the type of hip hop that shows up on empire.
posted by nadawi at 7:53 AM on September 25, 2015

oh and i loathe to recommend it - but chris brown's work is honestly pretty close to the brothers songs together even if he is a complete trash human.
posted by nadawi at 7:56 AM on September 25, 2015

and really - the music they're making is kind of 10 years behind. you might want to check out timbaland's production discography - specifically his work with missy elliot, aaliyah, and ginuwine (timbaland is responsible for the music on empire).
posted by nadawi at 8:04 AM on September 25, 2015 [2 favorites]

timbaland's production discography

I was going to suggest this when I saw his name as a "composer" for the show. The good news? Wikipedia does this
posted by Hoopo at 1:16 PM on September 25, 2015

« Older Deserving intern - writing a kick-ass letter of...   |   Buying an album that's no longer available on... Newer »