Sports cards and related crap sold to impressionable kids in the '90s

We're moving and I have three large boxes of sports cards that are steadily refusing to make me a millionaire as promised by the assorted authorities who sold them to me when I was 10. Is there a best practice for getting rid of them? EBay? Bonfire? This is almost all from the early '90s.

EBay searches indicate it's probably not worth the effort to list them. I realize that's probably my answer. Anyone had success putting them to some beneficial use?
posted by the christopher hundreds to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Is there a cards-n-comix shop in your area that gives a better deal if you take store credit instead of cash when selling? I'd bring them in, pick out an awesome graphic novel, enjoy my new book, forget about the cards.
posted by kmennie at 6:42 PM on September 8, 2015 [1 favorite]

Depending on how much time you have available, it might be worth going through them to look for any valuable cards, e.g. rookie cards of later all-stars.

If you haven't seen it, look at this previous question.
posted by exogenous at 7:54 PM on September 8, 2015 [1 favorite]

I would find the players I did not like and draw mustaches on them. THen I would try to sell them as a single lot for a little.
posted by AugustWest at 8:45 PM on September 8, 2015 [1 favorite]

I took mine to Goodwill and took the tax deduction.
posted by chrchr at 8:49 PM on September 8, 2015

I was in a similar situation (garbage pail kids, lots of baseball cards e-bay laughed at valuations). I gave mine to my kids to play with. They were thrilled to have trading cards.
posted by k5.user at 7:14 AM on September 9, 2015

When I coached Little League I gave out cards to the kids at the end of every practice. I would have needed to coach 500 seasons to make a serious dent on my card collection though. The kids loved the cards, the parents got irritated that I got their kids interested in baseball cards. Double Win!

Seriously, what kind of parent gets pissed that their kid is getting more interested in baseball?
posted by COD at 9:56 AM on September 9, 2015

« Older Free curriculum for the self-taught web developer?   |   Launching EBook on Amazon Kindle. Help Me Cross... Newer »