How to show all open programs in one window in Win 7 and Google Chrome

I want to know how to show small windows of each of my open programs on my screen

Running Win 7, professional edition and latest version of Google Chrome.

I accidentally hit some key combination and ended up seeing all my open programs displayed on my screen. Each open program page was shown in minature (wish I knew how to attach a screenshot here, but I don't). If I hit on a program, it maximized; when I minimized it, it went back to being a minature on the screen, with the other open programs.

This is a great facility and I would like to know how to do it intentionally. Can anyone help.
posted by lometogo to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Is it possible that you hit Ctrl + Alt + Tab, as described in the tip here?
posted by neushoorn at 6:08 AM on August 26, 2015

Or Win + Tab or Alt + Tab as described here.
posted by andrewcooke at 6:10 AM on August 26, 2015 [1 favorite]

Do you mean the thing that happens when you hold Windows Key and hit Tab? You can scroll through your open windows/desktop with each hit of Tab, and when you let go of both keys you'll recfocus on the window that was at the front.
posted by phatkitten at 6:10 AM on August 26, 2015 [1 favorite]

Right click on the taskbar and choose "Show windows side by side."
posted by thatwhichfalls at 6:36 AM on August 26, 2015

In Windows 10, its called "task view" and shows all open programs side by side. Windows 7 has something called "Windows Flip 3D" which shows them staggered over one another. The commands are, according to Wikipedia: (The keyboard shortcuts are ⊞ Win+Tab ↹, which makes Flip 3D disappear after releasing, Ctrl+⊞ Win+Tab ↹, which keeps Flip 3D visible after releasing, and ⇧ Shift+⊞ Win+Tab ↹ to flip through open windows backwards).[7] The window buttons on the taskbar show a thumbnail image of the window, when the mouse hovers over the button.
posted by rtimmel at 8:43 AM on August 26, 2015

Thanks to all; Thatwhichfalls nailed it and it gave me exactly what I wanted.
posted by lometogo at 2:19 AM on August 31, 2015

« Older Can we keep our relationship intact?   |   Wine & Beer table needs Newer »