Help me throw a baby shower for my sister in NYC

I'm looking for a room in NYC, ideally Queens, which can host 20-30 people for about three hours. More details inside.

Location: Queens or the Port Washington area of Long Island are ideal, but we can do most places in NYC.

Budget: We're hoping to keep this around/under $400. That includes food - this will likely be a mid-afternoon party and so we'll bring or buy a considerable amount of snacks/drinks, but people won't be eating meals.

The main thing I've found so far is YMCA/YWCA. I'm hoping locals know of some additional options! Thanks in advance. :)
posted by galaxy rise to Grab Bag (5 answers total)

Best answer: The Knights of Columbus in Flushing does hall rentals. The Queens Botanical Garden rents a 50-person capacity room. Years ago, Forest Park had a venue for small gatherings - this may have morphed into the "community center" located in the Oak Ridge building.
posted by Iris Gambol at 3:45 PM on August 12, 2015

Oh - forgot to add, Knights of Columbus rentals abound; here's the council in College Point.
posted by Iris Gambol at 3:48 PM on August 12, 2015

My birthday party two years ago was held at Corona's Tortilleria Nixtamal, which has the best goddamn Mexican food in NYC. There were 20-30 people present, and we kept it to the back room/patio, so it didn't affect normal restaurant traffic. I don't know how much it cost because my wife made the arrangements, but it's worth a call if you like really really good Mexican food.
posted by Dr. Wu at 7:38 AM on August 13, 2015

Best answer: There are lots of community rooms in churches, you would need to get in touch with one to know your options and scope out the parking availability. (Here is the site for the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Queens, in Flushing.) Also, given your budget -- are you sure you need a room? Park permits are $25, and are required when it's 20+ attendees; if I still lived in Queens I'd offer my backyard.

(P.S. If you added "Queens" and "PortWashington" tags, or if you specified neighborhoods/subway or bus lines in a follow-up in this question, you might get more suggestions. Congratulations on the new addition to your family!)
posted by Iris Gambol at 9:42 AM on August 13, 2015

Response by poster: Thanks for all the suggestions, Iris Gambol. I've been calling around without much luck - the UU Congregation would be perfect, but they had a fire recently. We may try a park if we can come up with a reasonable plan for bad weather.
posted by galaxy rise at 8:18 AM on August 14, 2015

« Older Pre-season football fan needs a place to watch in...   |   Palm tree rescue Newer »