Unconventional Deaf Characters

Hey Brilliants! Can you think of any characters who are deaf and are also rebellious or unconventional / daring? Thanks so much!
posted by sunnyblues48 to Media & Arts (21 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

El Deafo
posted by MsMolly at 7:37 AM on August 6, 2015 [1 favorite]

Hawkeye
posted by griphus at 7:38 AM on August 6, 2015 [8 favorites]

Many of the characters in Switched at Birth fit this description! Emmett rides a motorcycle and create graffiti and Travis is a stereotypical "bad boy" who starts fights (though he's very sympathetic). Emmett's mother is also kind of a badass and an activist, though I don't know if she counts as unconventional.
posted by chaiminda at 7:38 AM on August 6, 2015 [7 favorites]

The deaf hit man in Fargo (TV series) seemed unconventional to me.
posted by thelonius at 7:38 AM on August 6, 2015

Have you seen The Tribe?

The one-sentence version is that it's about a bunch of teens at a Ukranian school for the deaf, and the low-rent organized crime they get up to. Entirely in Ukranian Sign Language, no subtitles. It's a rough ride but way worth it.
posted by Oktober at 7:39 AM on August 6, 2015

Meagan Beals on Weeds is rebellious in a wild teenager sort of way. (Link contains spoilers.)
posted by earth by april at 7:40 AM on August 6, 2015 [1 favorite]

Mr. Wrench
posted by griphus at 7:40 AM on August 6, 2015 [1 favorite]

A deaf character, played by a deaf actor, provides false IDs for the main character in "The Next Three Days." When they first meet he says to the main character (paraphrase) "I'm deaf, asshole. I read lips."
posted by Dolley at 7:41 AM on August 6, 2015

Apple is My Sign was a book I loved as a kid, set at a school for the deaf. Like any boy's school, there's a mix of personalities, including an arrogant bully.
posted by Juliet Banana at 7:44 AM on August 6, 2015

The Deaf Man, the nemesis of the cops of the 87th precinct (he's not totally deaf, though, if that matters).
posted by ubiquity at 7:45 AM on August 6, 2015 [2 favorites]

Marlee Matlin's character, Sarah, in Children of a Lesser God?
posted by SLC Mom at 7:57 AM on August 6, 2015

Nick Andros in Steven King's The Stand.
posted by samthemander at 8:24 AM on August 6, 2015 [1 favorite]

hellen keller is a real person, so not a character per say, but she was actually an outspoken political activist that fought for women's rights and worker's rights, in addition to the usual stuff they teach in schools.
posted by monologish at 8:27 AM on August 6, 2015 [4 favorites]

Beethoven
posted by ubiquity at 8:28 AM on August 6, 2015

Joey Lucas in the West Wing is certainly bold, I don't know if I'd go so far as calling her daring.
posted by penguin pie at 8:50 AM on August 6, 2015 [2 favorites]

Lupin.
posted by The corpse in the library at 9:04 AM on August 6, 2015 [2 favorites]

Just one episode and maybe the obvious example...but Marlee Matlin in Seinfeld (The Lip Reader) agrees to help George spy on his girlfriend.
posted by mullacc at 11:05 AM on August 6, 2015

David, the adorable deaf brother in Four Weddings and a Funeral. He was the only one brave enough to stand up and object during his brother's wedding.
posted by dlugoczaj at 1:34 PM on August 6, 2015

Marlee Matlin again, in a couple episodes of Law & Order: SVU. I don't remember the exact plots, but one involves assisted suicide and one is about gaming the organ donor list.
posted by bendy at 1:44 PM on August 6, 2015

Bonnie in the TV show Jericho. She's a tough kid.
posted by jenfullmoon at 5:59 PM on August 6, 2015

Bank robber Laurie Bey in Pickett Fences
posted by Jacqueline at 5:00 PM on August 8, 2015

« Older Where can I get more plates like this?   |   Best Kindle literary fiction under $2? Newer »