What's a good UK specific gift for an American who likes to bake?

My American (East Coast) friend likes to bake. I'd like to send her a small domain specific UK specific gift. Any ideas?

I know nothing about baking but a lot about eating if it helps.
posted by gadha to Grab Bag (12 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Does she bake pies? If so, how about a pie bird?

Ingredient-wise, mixed (candied) peel is easy to find in British supermarkets, not so much in the US.
posted by holgate at 8:12 AM on August 1, 2015 [2 favorites]

Slightly larger, the Tala Cook's Measure is retro-nostalgic -- my mother had one when I was little -- and useful in the US for recipes measured by the cup.
posted by holgate at 8:16 AM on August 1, 2015

I'm not sure what gift this suggests, but meat pies of all types are much more common in the UK than the US. (What we do have is mostly Italian, eg, calzones.) This would include Cornish Pastys and the like. Actually most pastry in the US is in continental styles.
posted by SemiSalt at 8:21 AM on August 1, 2015 [1 favorite]

Some pastry cutter rings and a cast iron baking stone. Use together to make scones!
posted by veids at 8:21 AM on August 1, 2015

I've seen recipes that call for golden syrup, but I've only seen it in fancy import stores, and I live in New York, where one can find just about everything.

How about some clotted cream? She can make scones to go with it.
posted by zorseshoes at 8:27 AM on August 1, 2015 [4 favorites]

First thing I buy for baking when I"m in the UK is lard.
posted by ouke at 9:01 AM on August 1, 2015

Tala Cook's Measure is retro-nostalgic -- my mother had one when I was little -- and useful in the US for recipes measured by the cup.

Bear in mind that the UK cup (284ml) is not the same as a US cup (237ml), so this will likely not be too useful.
posted by ssg at 9:53 AM on August 1, 2015 [1 favorite]

It depends on your friend's style, but how about a Cath Kidston apron and oven mitt? Not well known here and easy to ship!
posted by chocotaco at 10:21 AM on August 1, 2015 [1 favorite]

The one baking "tool" we buy in England or have someone bring us are mince pie tins. The one ingredient is vegetable suet. (Suet doesn't really exist in the US, except as bird food. Vegetable suet flat out doesn't exist. Lard is fairly readily available.) Good jarred mince meat might be an option, but like the mince pie tins, there's a decent chance she wouldn't know what to do with it.
posted by hoyland at 10:24 AM on August 1, 2015 [1 favorite]

Golden syrup. It's obtainable in the US, but you have to hunt for it.
posted by une_heure_pleine at 11:19 AM on August 1, 2015

Not baking-specific, but how about a couple of good tea towels?
posted by MsMolly at 1:41 PM on August 1, 2015

Came in to say golden syrup - or possibly treacle, with a recipe for parkin.
posted by you must supply a verb at 7:38 PM on August 1, 2015

« Older Past away or passed away?   |   Iced Drink Ideas Needed Newer »