Trying to find these vintage-style toggle switches
July 22, 2015 8:28 AM   Subscribe

Can anyone identify a manufacturer who makes these toggle switches? I'd like to get ahold of some, and want to know if they're still being manufactured, or, alternatively if there's a good source for them. This photo is of a Technics RS-263AUS cassette tape deck. Thanks for any help!
posted by dmalashock to Technology (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Some similar ones seem to be available here (go to page 3)
posted by pipeski at 8:40 AM on July 22, 2015 [2 favorites]

there's also
posted by andrewcooke at 8:42 AM on July 22, 2015

I've seen things like this as "caps" which can be placed over a standard toggle switch, secured with a little set screw or even glue. This looks like an example (though in black).

If the retail price is prohibitive, it might be worth doing a little disassembly to see how the originals were made. It might be possible to pull the caps from scrapped audio equipment even if the switches themselves aren't salvageable.
posted by pullayup at 8:49 AM on July 22, 2015

Here's another example.
posted by pullayup at 8:50 AM on July 22, 2015

You might consider putting in a low best offer on one of the several Technics RS-263AUS's for sale on eBay - - surely it's a buyer's market for cassette decks nowadays.
posted by fairmettle at 9:21 AM on July 22, 2015

There's piles of gear with switches like this at thrift shops. You are not going to beat paying $4.99 for one there even if you have to drive to 5 stores Vs ordering one online that may or may not match.

Tons of brands of gear used these switches, especially older realistic/radio shack stuff. And that stuff is piled up at thrift stores at least in my area.
posted by emptythought at 1:49 PM on July 22, 2015

oh wow, it lights up
is it too late to learn how to do wiring and make all the switches in the house so cool and 70s future? please say no
posted by mimi at 8:11 AM on July 23, 2015 [1 favorite]

There are similar (tapered handle, different grades of chrome), currently manufactured switches (Google Cole Hersee M5411102, Carling 0206 or 77663 or 1023R), and panel mount. I would bet the switches in your deck are mounted directly to a circuit board underneath, not the panel. The shroud (under the panel, around the handle) likely floats under the panel in rails.

Similar looking switches that are thru-hole panel mounted: yes, new manufacture.
Exact replacement: salvage, eBay.
posted by Muted Flugelhorn at 1:22 PM on July 23, 2015 [1 favorite]

« Older BookFilter: Gimme Non-Fiction...   |   Is it foolish to try to train for a career as a... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.