Help me find this song.

So I heard this song awhile back and all I can remember is that it was a techno song with what I would guess was an organ as the main instrument.

Not sure if this helps but it was played on 90.5 WBER a local Rochester station.
posted by MJaffaDMB to Media & Arts (11 answers total)

Best answer: Dj Shadow - Organ Donor, maybe?
posted by scalespace at 6:29 PM on December 1, 2005

Response by poster: You are amazing!!
posted by MJaffaDMB at 6:33 PM on December 1, 2005

Uncanny song guessing ITT. I'm impressed.
posted by moift at 6:40 PM on December 1, 2005

be sure to check out the Extended Overhaul mix, quite a bit better IMO.
posted by kcm at 7:53 PM on December 1, 2005

That was going to be my suggestion, too! Consistently amazed at how quickly these things are answered. Fantastic work.
posted by blag at 8:06 PM on December 1, 2005

To really blow your mind, listen to this and then listen to the original In a gadda da vida, the song this is sampled from (I'm pretty sure). Also, there's a decent mix of this specific track in the diplo v. shado "Megatroid Mix", which I always assumed was sampled directly from "In a gadda da vida."

And since I'm googling, Oh-Emm-Eff-Gee, Iron Butterfly still tours! Wow.
posted by rkent at 11:11 PM on December 1, 2005

OK, I'm listening to it right now, and yes, whatever track's on the megatroid mix, it is definitely sampled from In A Gadda Da Vida.
posted by rkent at 11:12 PM on December 1, 2005

Check the Shadow Percussion Project too.
posted by jonathanbell at 1:17 AM on December 2, 2005

Quick clarification for MJaffaDMB, because this has gotten a little bit confusing: The version scalespace linked to is actually the Extended Overhaul that kcm mentioned. The original, less-propulsive version can be found on DJ Shadow's Endtroducing, which I think most people in this thread would highly recommend on many different levels: personal, musical, historical...

I don't know about the Iron Butterfly sample but the main source of the song (the stair-stepping melody) is a track by Giorgio Moroder called "Tears." (I just downloaded...uh, pulled out my legally purchased copy of "Tears" and verified it.)

[Confidential To Rkent: What part of the song is from In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda? The long formless section in the middle? In all my years of Shadow fandom I've never heard that there was an Iron Butterfly sample on there.]
posted by Ian A.T. at 1:23 AM on December 2, 2005

Ian: Maybe I take that back, about the original track, but it's definitely in the Megatroid Mix. Have you listened to that? Because in there they play a different version of this track that includes the first few notes of the main guitar riff. Since the tambre of the organ in "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida" is very similar to the one in "Tears," and I wasn't familiar with the latter, I just kind of assumed Shadow was sampling Iron Butterfly for the whole thing.

If you've heard the mix and "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida" doesn't jump out at you... I dunno man, maybe I'm crazy.
posted by rkent at 10:14 AM on December 2, 2005

I haven't heard the Megatroid Mix; in fact, I hadn't even heard OF it, so thank you very much for letting me know that it exists!

As for the original version of Organ Donor, there IS a long section in the middle that's not from Tears. Now I'm wondering if it, too, is from Iron Butterfly. How weird if it is...

(By the way, in my last comment I was just curious...I hope I didn't sound dismissive or know-it-allish. I just reread it and I think I unintentionally came across as a bit of dick.)
posted by Ian A.T. at 11:58 AM on December 3, 2005

« Older Fun things for kids in NY?   |   Till we meet again? Newer »