Looking for term for sparkle in eye
July 3, 2015 7:17 PM   Subscribe

Trying to remember a term for the reflecting sparkle in an eye that makes a face look alive. I think it might be "__lights", and I think I ran across the term in a post many years ago about photos of dead folks dressed up for their final portrait, either here or at MonkeyFilter.
posted by fish tick to Writing & Language (2 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: Catchlights?
posted by matildaben at 7:22 PM on July 3, 2015 [3 favorites]

Best answer: Yes, catchlights, and they're not just for dead folks - it's common in portrait work to use a fill flash to even out the lighting in the subject and put a reflection of the flash in the eyes of the subject to make the eyes more attractive.
posted by randomkeystrike at 7:29 PM on July 3, 2015 [2 favorites]

« Older Going Mad in NYC   |   Help me help my bike Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.