Obscure Problem with Keyboard Macros in Word 2010

In Word 2010, I use custom keyboard shortcuts/macros a lot. Usually I use CTRL + 2 keys as a shortcut for a long word or phrase.

I have hundreds of these macros saved in normal.dotm. OK here’s the problem, and it’s pretty obscure: Quite often while I’m working on a document, for no reason I can figure out, the keyboard macros will not work when I go to use them, unless I first move the cursor with the arrow keys. It’s like the macros are frozen out somehow, and moving the cursor with the arrow keys unfreezes them. But I have to do this each time I want to use a keyboard macro in that document, which is obviously frustrating. If I create a new document, the keyboard macros work fine in the new document.

Does anyone know why this happens, and whether it can be prevented or fixed?
posted by Eyebeams to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

Maybe you have a weird header hiding out somewhere?

What happens if you backup your old normal.dotm and move the macros to a new one?
posted by I-baLL at 7:43 AM on June 12, 2015

Response by poster: Thanks for answering. I am not sure I know how to do that. I have moved the normal.dotm file from one PC to another simply by copying it to the appropriate folder in the 2nd PC. How do I move the macros to a new normal.dotm file?
posted by Eyebeams at 8:10 AM on June 12, 2015 [1 favorite]

This is not specifically the answer to your question, but if you have a lot of shortcuts or text replacement inside MS Word and want it to be portable (or to work in other programs), you might want to consider Autohotkey.

It's very powerful, and your personal set of macros can either live as a simple text file or as a portable self-executing file that can be moved around on a USB stick or run from a Dropbox. I use it for tons and tons of things, both at home and at work.
posted by overeducated_alligator at 4:39 AM on June 13, 2015

« Older Generic names for this doll's clothes?   |   How to edit a PDF lease template Newer »