What kind of tree is this?

Need help identifying a tree from Utah.

What kind of tree is this branch from?

We were at the park today and came across a stand of trees that smelled fantastic and I would like to know what they are. I tried to use a dichotomous key to figure out what it is, but I'm striking out. Found in Utah (Liberty Park, to be specific) and currently in bloom - not sure what else I can say that will be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
posted by _DB_ to Science & Nature (5 answers total)

Best answer: Some kind of linden (Tilia sp.). They're currently in bloom or close to in bloom in several places in the US.
posted by pullayup at 8:16 PM on June 7, 2015 [2 favorites]

Yep, linden.
posted by Specklet at 8:23 PM on June 7, 2015

Response by poster: 4 minutes. Seriously, you guys are awesome - thank you!
posted by _DB_ at 8:55 PM on June 7, 2015

It is a ginko.
posted by Oyéah at 9:03 PM on June 7, 2015

Judging by the size of the leaves, this is probably a littleleaf or European linden (Tilia cordata) rather than an American linden (Tilia americana), although that kind also has the distinctive linden scent. FYI -- if you ever happen to be looking for this scent in a product like soap or perfume, linden-scented items are often confusingly referred to as "lime" or "lime blossom," which is an older English name for the tree, no connection to the citrus.
posted by ostro at 12:07 AM on June 8, 2015 [1 favorite]

« Older Name my radio show!   |   What is this tool? Saw / Machete attached to plate Newer »