What kind of ledger is this?

Like, the technical name. Payment stub record book? Accounts payable tome? Cash losing journal? Expensanomicon?

So I found this book that lists everything a school district paid for in 1904. Most of it lists teachers' salaries, but some of it lists payments for repairs, supplies, etc. No money coming in; it's just a record of money going out. The edge appears to be perforated, as if there was a part torn off of every page. But I'm not sure; the cover only extends a quarter inch past the perforation, so if something was torn off, it was tiny. So maybe it's just a ripply-edged page and not something actually perforated.

What is the technical name for this type of book? Google is failing me.
posted by sarling to Grab Bag (7 answers total)

Ledge File Check Book
posted by Confess, Fletch at 4:24 PM on June 6, 2015

Looks like check stubs. Business checkbooks today still use nearly the exact same format.

Perhaps the school district had the stubs bound in book form for archival/records purposes?

For kicks, here's a great inflation calculator if you want to look up some of the amounts.
posted by phunniemee at 4:25 PM on June 6, 2015 [2 favorites]

Isn't it just a receipt book?
posted by billiebee at 4:26 PM on June 6, 2015

Response by poster: You know, it looks like the cover was actually cut off on the right-hand side. So it was probably much longer. Maybe there were checks on the right?
posted by sarling at 4:27 PM on June 6, 2015

You know, it looks like the cover was actually cut off on the right-hand side. So it was probably much longer. Maybe there were checks on the right?

If the cover has been cut that's certainly the case.
posted by phunniemee at 4:28 PM on June 6, 2015

Yup, probably check stubs. Here's a modern equivalent.
posted by in278s at 4:29 PM on June 6, 2015

This is what the pages look like now, so you have a general idea. They're perforated along the left edge of the check, and also perforated between the length of the checks.
posted by phunniemee at 4:30 PM on June 6, 2015

« Older How do I deal with a supervisor who is an energy...   |   I want to learn more about geography Newer »