Nice cat collection you got there, shame if anything happened to it.

I have decided to acquire a new iPhone. However, I've been playing Neko Atsume, and have gotten pretty far along in collecting cats and cat-related objects. Is there a way to back up my game progress so I can pick up on the new phone where I left off instead of having to start all over?

My iPhone 5s has been getting hot, running down the battery several times a day, losing the cellular network and having trouble reacquiring it, and requiring frequent restarts. I'd like to get to the end of the game but I am not sure if my phone will last that long. Please do not tell me how to fix my phone; I've already researched that and have decided to resign myself to planned obsolescence and get a new one. My carrier is T-Mobile if that matters.
posted by matildaben to Technology (12 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: If you back up the whole phone to itunes, then restore that backup to your new phone, as far as I'm aware, it will restore every app to the exact state it was in when you backed up, including game progress.
posted by jozxyqk at 10:50 AM on May 29, 2015 [2 favorites]

Best answer: I recently upgraded my iPhone 5s to a 6 (AT&T but that shouldn't matter) and did the "back up old phone, restore to new phone" and all my games were exactly how I left them.
posted by dotgirl at 10:53 AM on May 29, 2015

Best answer: In four iPhones, I've always experienced the same as jozxyqk describes.
posted by General Malaise at 10:53 AM on May 29, 2015

Best answer: I'm pretty sure the backup/restore from cloud option it gives you when you're setting up a new iPhone will work as well.
posted by prize bull octorok at 10:54 AM on May 29, 2015

Best answer: From the nekoatsume Q&A page:
Currently, there is no way to do a takeover of the data in the application side. We have studied for the takeover, but it is the state that it can not promise at this stage the timing and the method for saving the amount of data is very large.
So it sounds like your only option is to cross your fingers and hope that app data transfers from iphone to iphone like it it's supposed to.
posted by phunniemee at 10:56 AM on May 29, 2015 [1 favorite]

Best answer: If you end up not being able to transfer the game data, don't worry! The kitties will just keep playing and having a lovely time forever. You will meet new kitties.
posted by amtho at 11:01 AM on May 29, 2015 [11 favorites]

Best answer: If you end up not being able to transfer the game data, don't worry! The kitties will just keep playing and having a lovely time forever.

<MeFi satire>Oh my GAWD the wrongy WRONGNESS omg will AskMe NEVAR LEARN to LOOK UP answers the kitties STOP COMING when no more food is left out and what's worse you just KNOW it's Manzoku-san who will have the last word</satire>

so amtho is correct anyway because no worries, the kitties will just stop coming once no more food is out.

Have you gotten as far as an expansion yet? It only takes a few days of kitty-watching (even then, checking in once every couple of hours is fine) and using the store option to exchange 500 fish for 10 gold fish to get to the 180 gold fishies needed for an expansion. But yes, nthing what others have said, hopefully the app data transfers will work.

If not, you can collect treasures all over again too! Yattaaaa!
posted by fraula at 11:12 AM on May 29, 2015 [1 favorite]

I had a game like that. So I use that old phone for games and music.
posted by crankyrogalsky at 11:31 AM on May 29, 2015 [1 favorite]

Best answer: I recently had to upgrade my iPhone, and I was quite far in that specific game. I did a cloud backup of my phone, and then used that cloud backup to set up my new phone. All of my cat progress was retained.
posted by Nimmie Amee at 11:58 AM on May 29, 2015 [2 favorites]

Best answer: kitties STOP COMING when no more food is left out

The important point is that the kitties will be OK no matter what.

This is partially in response to the various threads I've read here about people feeling super sad for not only lonely stuffed animals, but various inanimate objects that don't even have faces. I just didn't want the OP to be _worried_.
posted by amtho at 8:24 PM on May 29, 2015 [3 favorites]

Response by poster: Thank you, amtho. I fully admit to being a crouton petter, so I appreciate the consideration.
posted by matildaben at 11:02 AM on May 30, 2015 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: I did the manual backup/restore from my computer using iTunes, and all my kitties, goods, sardines, and remodel that I have worked so hard to collect are there on the new phone! Thanks, all!
posted by matildaben at 10:08 PM on June 22, 2015

« Older European History for the ignorant   |   Help me plan a chill Mid/Norcal vaycay! Newer »