Good hard news sources for teens

Searching for stuff about news for teens tends to get, well, news stories about teens or teeny-bopper mags. Please tell me about a good online news site aimed at teens that covers stuff like politics, the economy, international relations, etc. Does it exist? Teachers or librarians, can you help?

I discovered Smithsonian TweenTribune which looks fantastic and I will use it for other purposes, but is mostly science related. (Smithsonian, right?)

Scholastic Upfront looks interesting, but is locked into some useless onscreen viewer so it's impossible to work with the text.

Happy to pay for something good, but I need to be able to copy and paste the text for analysis so html or pdf are better than proprietary formats.
posted by Gotanda to Education (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

My 12 year old is very into the CNN Student News.
posted by latkes at 7:59 PM on May 27, 2015

We used to watch Behind the News when I was in primary school (in Australia). Back in those days it was somethng the teachers would record on VCR but now it seems like there's a whole website of resources.
posted by kitten magic at 8:09 PM on May 27, 2015

PBS NewsHour Extra has news articles for students and lesson plans for teachers.
posted by hurdy gurdy girl at 8:26 PM on May 27, 2015

BBC Newsbeat is this - it's the online spinoff of the news programme on the BBC's youth radio station, Radio 1. It's quite well done - presented in an accessible style, but concentrating mainly on news (especially stories affecting young people, around housing and education and things) rather than entertainment and sports gossip.
posted by winterhill at 12:07 AM on May 28, 2015 [2 favorites]

Seconding Newsbeat. It is excellent.
posted by kariebookish at 4:48 AM on May 28, 2015

Our school has our pre teens reading Time for kids
posted by Kestrelxo at 8:52 AM on May 28, 2015

NewsELA is something my teacher friends use in the classroom. You can adjust the reading level of the articles, which is neat.
posted by raspberrE at 11:24 AM on May 28, 2015 [1 favorite]

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is interested, NewsELA also has articles in Spanish at adjusted reading levels.
posted by onecircleaday at 1:24 PM on February 19, 2016

« Older Cat's Eye   |   If I read a copyrighted story onstage, is it... Newer »