How to remove sealer from Armstrong VCT vinyl tile?

I installed Bikini Blue vinyl floor tiles in my office. I sealed them with some kind of liquid sealer (like I was instructed to do by the hardware store). How do I remove some spilled sealer?

This is what happened. I put the half-full plastic container of the sealer in the closet. Skip three years ahead - somehow the sealer ate away at the plastic container and started seeping out and because of gravity it spilled out of the closet onto the floor. I thought someone had spilled beer on the floor and I was on my way out so I thought I will clean it in the morning. Next day I go in my office and I have a puddle of hard as rock sealer that looks like spilt beer.

I tried sanding it - that did not work. I tried chiseling it off and that worked but it still leaves a fine film of beer-colored stain. I can see that if I knew what kind of chemical to use I could strip it off.

This is a sad picture of the damage.

What kind of chemical can I use?
posted by cda to Home & Garden (3 answers total)

I don't think there is any chemical that you can use - without damaging the vinyl flooring. In my limited experience these events always come down to 1/ elbow grease and 2/ a realization that a rug would make a perfect addition to the room...
posted by Rabarberofficer at 2:39 PM on May 23, 2015

Many floor sealers are soluble in ammonia.
posted by H21 at 3:20 PM on May 23, 2015

Rip up the affected area of tile and put a few new tiles down.
posted by slateyness at 5:20 PM on May 23, 2015 [1 favorite]

« Older What is the best way to document an intellectual...   |   So Latin, Greek, and Old English walk into a bar..... Newer »