Trying to remember name of Mac 2D animation program from 1985

I can't remember much about it but I'm trying to remember the name of a Classic Mac-era program that let you create animations in the black-and-white style of Dark Castle. It came with a demo that scrolled and had funny stuff happening in it.
posted by johngoren to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Hypercard?
posted by Ragged Richard at 2:29 PM on May 20, 2015

Hypercard! Agree.
posted by ian1977 at 2:55 PM on May 20, 2015

I lost a lot of time in HyperCard, trying to make games. But there was another product as well. I thing it was along the lines of World Workshop. Or something...
posted by Rabarberofficer at 2:57 PM on May 20, 2015

Response by poster: Hi--it was definitely not Hypercard.
posted by johngoren at 3:23 PM on May 20, 2015

Response by poster: You might be thinking of World Builder, which this adventure game was written in... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchanted_Scepters

But it wasn't that, it was all about making animations.
posted by johngoren at 3:48 PM on May 20, 2015

Best answer: The 1985 program VideoWorks, the direct ancestor of Macromedia Director.
posted by D.C. at 9:44 PM on May 20, 2015

Response by poster: The fire hydrant makes me think that's the answer!
posted by johngoren at 10:14 PM on May 20, 2015

Best answer: I absolutely had this on my 512K Mac. I haven't thought about it in a while, but I remember one of the demos was a king kong creature fighting planes on top of a building. Awesome. Thanks for looking this up.
posted by kookywon at 8:48 AM on May 21, 2015

Response by poster: It's totally awesome. I got it running on an emulator last night. After a search for the demos I found them on a disk called "Art Disk." They include "Radar Love," which I absolutely remember from my childhood and had forgotten since then, and "El Camino Real," an ode to what was apparently a Mexican restaurant in San Jose.

I think the demos were created by the same talented artist behind Dark Castle.

So awesome.
posted by johngoren at 10:35 AM on May 21, 2015

« Older Help Me Find Dining Chairs That Tie My Rooms...   |   Psychological studies on trigger warnings Newer »