Honest auto mechanic in Olympa, WA

My mother lives in Olympia, WA, drives a Honda Fit, and says she needs to get her brakes checked (among whatever else). She also thinks every mechanic is out to scam her. Please give me some recommendations that I can pass on to her.

I'm also checking Car Talk, but wanted some anecdotes as well.
posted by czytm to Travel & Transportation around Olympia, WA (9 answers total)

Just take the car to a garage that has a license to work on the Honda Fit under warranty. That's what I do. The dealership typically charges an arm and a leg, so I take the car to Canadian Tire which has a license to work on my make of car. They also have good customer service and do some work for free or at cost, which is why I like them.

But that license is the most important thing.
posted by Nevin at 1:20 PM on May 19, 2015

Les Schwab does brakes. I took my car in for a brake check a few months ago, and they told me there was still plenty of life left in the brakes. The wobble I was experiencing was just a balance issue (which they fixed for free since I'd bought the tires there).
posted by reeddavid at 1:22 PM on May 19, 2015

I live in Olympia and have a good mechanic. Really. Meinke in downtown Olympia is very honest (it used to be a locally owned chain and I've taken my car there for 15 years). Bryan, the manager and service writer, will not sell her anything she doesn't need and will explain things and is happy to show what is wrong on a car.

If she'd feel better about it, I'd meet her there. Being a lady, I know what it is like to feel as if mechanics are out to get you. PM me if I can help.
posted by monopas at 2:13 PM on May 19, 2015 [1 favorite]

Les Schwab.
posted by humboldt32 at 3:32 PM on May 19, 2015

AAA can put her in touch with people if she's a member.
posted by brujita at 3:34 PM on May 19, 2015

Check Angies List
posted by Jacqueline at 5:38 PM on May 19, 2015

When I moved to Olympia a bunch of friends recommended Terry's Automotive on Harrison, and I've had very good experiences with them over the years. (E.g., a couple of times now I've brought the car in thinking it needed to have various expensive things done; the first time they said "Nah, you don't need to have that done for a couple of years yet," and the second time said "Nah, you don't need that replaced, we just needed to adjust it a bit" and in both cases they were correct and the car has gone on working perfectly.) (and in the second case they didn't charge me for doing the adjustment. )
posted by Kat Allison at 7:52 PM on May 19, 2015

Second vote for Terry's Automotive - my sister uses them exclusively and has had similar experiences to Kat Allison.
posted by macfly at 8:20 PM on May 19, 2015

If possible, ask your Mom to have a male friend take the car in for a check-up. Regardless of how offensive the idea is, she stands a thousand-times better chance of getting a straight answer without being scammed if she lets a man do the talking.
posted by aryma at 8:42 PM on May 19, 2015

« Older How does a relatively new to US sports fan become...   |   Do wineries discard the first four harvests of... Newer »