Whats this grotesque figure in old painting in Berlin?
May 18, 2015 1:24 PM   Subscribe

I came across this painting (the right hand of the three) in St Marienkirche, in the middle of Berlin. The bottom right hand corner has a negroid grotesque figure that beggars belief. Does anyone know who painted this, and when?
posted by stonepharisee to Media & Arts (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

It's a Last Judgement scene, with the holy being ushered off on one side by angels, and the damned being taken to hell by demons. The grotesque figure is one of the demons.
posted by PussKillian at 1:51 PM on May 18, 2015

From this link
(wait, nevermind, they're referring to something else; regardless, link may be of assistance)
posted by melissasaurus at 1:51 PM on May 18, 2015

Googling has led me to believe the figure is possibly Baphomet, often depicted with breasts, and goat-like horns?
posted by ClarissaWAM at 1:56 PM on May 18, 2015 [2 favorites]

Response by poster: Yeah, I found that info already, and they don't mention the painting. There is a much more famous, and totally buggered, fresco, the Totentanz, which has robed ancients being shown around by dead alien things, so that's cool. But this thing!
posted by stonepharisee at 1:57 PM on May 18, 2015

Response by poster: Baphomet! That would be startling. No goat-like horns, but definitely a strong whiff of the taboo-breaking, in-your-face-wrong, that still works today.
posted by stonepharisee at 2:01 PM on May 18, 2015

It was not at all uncommon for Satan or demons to be represented as moors in European art.
posted by frumiousb at 4:15 PM on May 18, 2015

Yeah, I found that info already, and they don't mention the painting.

Doesn't this describe your paintings:
5. The main Baroque altar was designed around 1762 by Andreas Kr├╝ger. The three paintings are The Removal of Jesus Christ from the Cross (center), Christ on the Mount of Olives (right), and Doubting Thomas and the Disciples in Emmaus (left), painted by Christian Bernhard Rode in 1761.
posted by unliteral at 9:24 PM on May 18, 2015

Response by poster: Nailed it! Thank you all!
posted by stonepharisee at 11:43 PM on May 18, 2015

Response by poster: Whoops, no those are the paintings on the alter. The three paintings of which this is one are not as closely integrated. The right hand one is Christ, but I see no Mount of Olives, and the left hand one is not Doubting Thomas. Still hoping someone might know the artist.
posted by stonepharisee at 11:49 PM on May 18, 2015

Best answer: This site http://www.helmutvoss.de/kirchen_berlin_marienkirche_02.html seems to indicate it is school of Cranach, which would put it in the early 16th century?
posted by johngumbo at 2:01 PM on May 19, 2015

« Older Should we move to Portland OR despite the...   |   writing workshops: how do they work? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.