Please give me a different pop song, please.

I'm co-writing a theme and blurb for a conference with a colleague. The theme is "Convergence|Divergence." My pal has added an opening that is driving me insane, but I see his point. What images come to mind with this theme? There are two from the music of our youth...The Beatles' "Come together right now," and $BandName "Song Title" Trigger warning: Annoying earworm inside.

OK. He wants "What images come to mind with this theme? There are two from the music of our youth...The Beatles' "Come together right now," and Fleetwood Mac's "You can go your own way!" But, I... just... can't...

It's already been driving me insane the past two hours. I can't get it out of my head, and I'll have to live with it for the next year. I need another pop song suggests the right image, but isn't that one, or I won't make until the conference.
posted by Gotanda to Writing & Language (10 answers total)

Best answer: Honestly, isn't the third in that triad "Gimme Shelter"?
posted by klangklangston at 1:33 AM on May 16, 2015 [1 favorite]

Best answer: Your coworker's paring of "Come Together" by the Beatles and "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac make no sense. Disparate musical styles and eras aside, "Come Together" is not actually about "coming together," and "Go Your Own Way" is not actually about "going your own way."

Some would argue that Come Together is actually just nonsense with a sense of disconnectedness intertwined. Some would argue that "Go Your Own Way" is actually about failing to get together.

The titles of the songs might embody Convergence/Divergence, but the songs themselves are a lot more complicated. Unless those sorts of complications are your theme, you may want to recommend scrapping the references altogether.
posted by erst at 2:09 AM on May 16, 2015 [2 favorites]

What images come to mind with this theme? There are two from song titles of our youth...
posted by StickyCarpet at 2:14 AM on May 16, 2015 [2 favorites]

Slip Slidin' Away?
posted by taz at 4:07 AM on May 16, 2015

The Youngbloods' Get Together?
posted by tracicle at 4:41 AM on May 16, 2015

Your love is my drug, and any of Taylor Swift breakup songs?

Actually probably you could find a Taylor swift sing about both.

You could probably use the tron soundtrack because it evokes images of lines on the grid.

Also, a movie called divergence just came out but it wasn't the best
posted by bbqturtle at 5:11 AM on May 16, 2015

50 ways to leave your lover.
You and me, we march to the tune of a different drum.
posted by SemiSalt at 5:42 AM on May 16, 2015 [1 favorite]

Best answer: That's not a good intro. Pop-culture references date you, and they're opaque at best, alienating at worst, to people from other generations and cultures. (And 'Come Together' (note, there's no 'right now' in that title) is from 1969 and 'Go Your Own Way' (note, there's no 'you can' in that title) is from 1977, so there's really a very thin slice of people who can honestly place both songs in 'our youth.') If I were you, I'd recommend ditching that opening entirely--don't try to be cool or fun, just introduce the information.

Or, alternately, 'Eve of Destruction.'
posted by box at 6:32 AM on May 16, 2015 [3 favorites]

Response by poster: Thank you, all. My gut told me it wouldn't work.

I felt as box did that it was generationally tone deaf. erst, I hadn't actually listened to Come Together in ages, and yes it is nonsense. You've all given me the actual reasons why it has to go other that, "I don't like it." Thank you.

I think I've got a different non pop culture reference that will set it up neatly. But, the suggested pop songs were fun. And, I won't have to have that goddamn song stuck in my head until next summer.

Thank you!
posted by Gotanda at 6:49 AM on May 16, 2015

Dion - The Wanderer
posted by irisclara at 11:09 PM on May 16, 2015

« Older Sole Traders / Partnership   |   How does one develop refined taste, particularly... Newer »