multiplayer figurine-based strategy fantasy sequel games

In Parks And Recreation's finale, Ben Wyatt announces that his sequel to The Cones Of Dunshire was "the ninth highest-selling multiplayer figurine-based strategy fantasy sequel game in history". Let us assume the show's script to be reality for the purposes of this question, and that there are at least eight other multiplayer figurine-based strategy fantasy sequel games. Please list any games that fulfill ALL of those requirements: 1) MULTIPLAYER. 2) FIGURINE-BASED. 3) STRATEGY. 4) FANTASY. 5) SEQUEL. 6) GAME.

If you have a link to sales figures for any games you list, please feel free to share! But primarily I would like to know any currently-existing games which fulfill ALL of the criteria in Ben's description. Thank you!

IF ANOTHER ANSWERER HAS LISTED A GAME THAT YOU BELIEVE DOES NOT FULFILL ALL REQUIREMENTS, FEEL FREE TO POP INTO THE THREAD TO POINT OUT WHICH REQUIREMENT IT DOES NOT FULFILL.
posted by Greg Nog to Media & Arts (25 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

Warhammer Fantasy Battles fulfills all those criteria assuming you read "edition" to mean sequel.
posted by selfnoise at 1:07 PM on May 7, 2015 [1 favorite]

(the word sequel is an odd one to use for board/war games so may cause some issues in terms of definition)
posted by selfnoise at 1:08 PM on May 7, 2015

Pretty much any of the Warhammer 40K tabletop games, save the first one obviously, fit all of these requirements.
posted by brainmouse at 1:08 PM on May 7, 2015 [1 favorite]

Starting with Board Game Geek's list of strategy games is a good start. I think the sequel part will be the hardest to nail down. Is an expansion a sequel?

I would argue that Caverna: The Cave Farmers qualifies, but it's often called a reimplementation of Agricola vs. a sequel.
posted by muddgirl at 1:09 PM on May 7, 2015

Response by poster: Warhammer Fantasy Battles fulfills all those criteria assuming you read "edition" to mean sequel.

Let's rule right away here! Yes, we shall assume "edition" means "sequel" for this question. But "expansion" does not; you must be able to play it right out of the box, not rely on a base game previously bought.
posted by Greg Nog at 1:10 PM on May 7, 2015

Also, I didn't go through the list, but most everything here will fit every requirement except possibly the Sequel one. You'd have to go through and figure out which ones were or had sequels. Tabletop miniature (i.e. figurine) strategy games is a reasonably large genre of game, with Fantasy versions being, unsurprisingly, a large portion of that.
posted by brainmouse at 1:11 PM on May 7, 2015

Kemet?
Video Here.

Cyclades?
posted by edbles at 1:13 PM on May 7, 2015

Wrath of Arshardalon and Legend of Drizzt are effectively sequels to Castle Ravenloft.
Descent 2nd edition.
posted by EndsOfInvention at 1:14 PM on May 7, 2015

Mage Knight is a second edition of a MP figurine-based strategy fantasy game.
posted by nom de poop at 1:24 PM on May 7, 2015

"Figurine-based" is difficult. Can it just involve miniatures? War of the Ring has a second edition..
posted by nom de poop at 1:27 PM on May 7, 2015

Response by poster: "Figurine-based" is difficult. Can it just involve miniatures? War of the Ring has a second edition..

Let us define "Figurine" as any miniature which represents a single creature capable of conscious thought at the human level or beyond. So: civilized aliens, orcs, centaurs: yes. Tanks, horses, fortresses: no.
posted by Greg Nog at 1:36 PM on May 7, 2015 [1 favorite]

Also Heroscape had a second edition. It also crossed genres but I'm going to invoke the well known rule that when you mix fantasy and science fiction, what you end up with is fantasy.
posted by nom de poop at 1:40 PM on May 7, 2015

Boardgamegeek's advanced search lets you specify a bunch of filters. This is all the games that are in the categories "Fantasy" and "miniatures" and can be played with 3 players. They are all games, and they are all "strategy" enough probably. Expansions are excluded.

There's no clear way to limit it to just sequels, or even really a clear definition of what a sequel is (do all the D&D ones which are clearly in a series count as sequels? Anyway, when I sorted by name, some of them looked sequelish. I haven't played any of these, so maybe they're not sequels, or maybe there's sequels I missed because they didn't start with the same word.

Dark World: Village of Fear
A bunch of Dungeons and Dragonsy stuff
Goalsystem Fantasy
Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro
LOTR: Two Towers
LOTR: Return of the King
Mage Knight Dungeons
Mayhem: Fantasy Mass Battles
Pit Fighter: Fantasy Arena
Warmachine Prime Mk II

There's other games that might qualify too that didn't make this list. Argent: The Consortium is a game that kind of simulates academia for wizards. It's a worker placement game with plastic wizard figures for the grad students (workers). The game takes place in the same fantasy world as all the games by the same designer, and a bunch of the characters appear in their earlier games. Is that a sequel, or do the mechanics have to be similar?
posted by aubilenon at 1:55 PM on May 7, 2015

There's a sequel or two in the HeroQuest Family that fit the bill.

Do any of the Chess 'sequels' count?
posted by fragmede at 2:03 PM on May 7, 2015

Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition and its many, many expansions.
posted by augustimagination at 2:21 PM on May 7, 2015

The original edition of GURPS was a sequel to an earlier game called "The Fantasy Trip".
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 2:27 PM on May 7, 2015

posted by nom de poop at 4:24 PM on May 7 [+] [!]

Mage Knight is made by my all time favorite game designer Vlaada Chvatil in fact he is the reason I have a favorite game designer. here's Shut Up Sit Down's review of it.
posted by edbles at 2:30 PM on May 7, 2015

I don't know if GURPS (or many RPGs) really counts as strategic. They can have that element but they are not "strategy games" really. You could fit Man-to-Man in there, which called itself a fighting game, but I think the bigger problem is SJG shipped these things with little standees, not miniatures, so I think it fails figurine-based.
posted by nom de poop at 3:05 PM on May 7, 2015

Tanks, horses, fortresses: no.

So what about O.G.R.E GEV smart guy? (It totally totally counts)

Man-to-man and Gurps DON'T count because they were a sequel to a sequel to a sequel and a sequel to that sequel to a sequel to a sequel, respectively. The original game was Metagaming Concepts's Warrior, and its sequel (the one that counts for the purposes of the question) was Wizard. Those became The Fantasy Trip (which was more an RPG). TFT kinda bombed and got SJ fired, so he started is own company and ripped off his own work to write MtM (a board game), and then GURPS (which, as noted, is the official OTHER RPG).
posted by bonehead at 3:19 PM on May 7, 2015

I'll admit, grudgingly, that Car Wars Deluxe probably doesn't qualify, but I wonder if Autoduel Champions (think Mad Max with superheros as board game) would fit the bill. It was technically a sequel (and fully playable too, not just an expansion) to both Car Wars and Champions. It should probably count twice.
posted by bonehead at 3:28 PM on May 7, 2015

(I may have been an SJG fanboy at one point in my life.)
posted by bonehead at 3:29 PM on May 7, 2015

Gahhh King of New York is so close but likely to be just barely disqualified on miniatures or possibly fantasy.
posted by yellowbinder at 5:29 PM on May 7, 2015

Blood Bowl's various editions?

Talisman's various editions?
posted by obiwanwasabi at 10:14 PM on May 7, 2015

« Older Gustatory effects of probiotics?   |   My sex drive is now a sex leisurely amble in the... Newer »