Looking for a particular type of robe...
April 24, 2015 7:43 PM   Subscribe

Hey hivemind. I saw this video, which starts with a Japanese woman wearing a rather particular type of robe, while at a kotatsu. It's somewhat reminiscent of a kimono, but big, comfy, padded cotton? Sort of like a wearable comforter. Anyone know what these are called / where I might find them? ... or, if necessary, a pattern for them?
posted by markkraft to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (7 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
I don't know what they call them in Japan, but down robes are a thing, apparently.
posted by Sys Rq at 8:11 PM on April 24, 2015

Best answer: I think the coat is a (wataire) hanten, meaning (quilted) short housecoat.

Rakuten has some, but you'll want to search a bit more.
posted by sebastienbailard at 8:15 PM on April 24, 2015

You'll trip over some happi coats as well, but those are much lighter.
posted by sebastienbailard at 8:16 PM on April 24, 2015

Response by poster: Well, that's more info than I had! Still, it's very hard finding something quite like this. Will have to look around a lot more, I suspect...
posted by markkraft at 11:09 PM on April 24, 2015

Japanese sizes run small, a size large there would be considered a medium in the states, perhaps.
posted by sebastienbailard at 2:23 AM on April 25, 2015

Try rakuten or aliexpress.
posted by skwint at 3:31 AM on April 25, 2015

Jlist/ Jbox also has hanten, but check the sizes.
posted by sukeban at 9:06 AM on April 26, 2015

« Older old educational game on the apple II?   |   F for Fake- scenes from other movies Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.