Looking for jazzy, romantic songs

So I really love Sondre Lerche's "You Knocked Me Off My Feet," and I'm looking for something similar to it, with more romantic lyrics and slightly less repetitive, for a wedding first dance. Thank you for any suggestions!
posted by madonna of the unloved to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

"The Nearness of You" comes to mind. Norah Jones did an excellent cover of it if you want something more contemporary. Then I'd listen to more old jazz playlists that includes "Nearness of You" to find similar ones.
posted by monologish at 2:01 PM on April 23, 2015

Cheek to Cheek
They Can't Take That Away From Me
At Last
How Deep Is The Ocean

For newer stuff, I second the Norah Jones recommendation. She & Him or some Cat Power (maybe the Sea of Love cover?) might also be a good option.
posted by melissasaurus at 3:09 PM on April 23, 2015

miho hatori of cibo matto did a great cover of madonna's crazy for you that's perfect for weddings.
posted by noloveforned at 4:10 PM on April 23, 2015

Ray LaMontagne has some songs that have a similar feel to Sondre Lerche, not quite as loungey-jazzy, but we had both Sondre Lerche and Ray LaMontagne on our wedding playlist.
posted by checkitnice at 5:31 PM on April 23, 2015

Robin Trower's "Spellbound"
posted by Oyéah at 8:43 PM on April 23, 2015

Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane - "My One And Only Love"
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong -"The Nearness of You"
Tony Bennett – “My Funny Valentine”
Etta James - "The Very Thought of You"
Dusty Springfield, “The Look Of Love”
Some of Chet Baker's renditions of ballads.

For options closer to rock and pop,
Thea Gilmore - "Holding your hand"
The Beach Boys - "God only knows"
Van Morrison - "Have I told you lately that I love you"
Damien Rice - "I don't want to change you"
posted by abakua at 8:02 AM on April 24, 2015

« Older Help me create a fake field of scientific inquiry!   |   Searching within The Searchers Newer »