Thing & Thing & Thing & Thing

This feels unbelievably trivial, but its ungoogleable nature is driving me crazy. What is the origin of the meme-ish thing where there are four or five characters grouped together with ampersands? The one I see most often involves the Game of Thrones direwolves, but I don't think it originated there. I feel like it's making reference to something I don't understand, and I should understand all the references. Help me out?
posted by missrachael to Computers & Internet (13 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite

I think it might be The Beatles 'John&Paul&George&Ringo'
posted by Dorothea_in_Rome at 1:28 PM on April 23, 2015 [1 favorite]

Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)?

ETA: Plot summary.
posted by MonkeyToes at 1:32 PM on April 23, 2015 [5 favorites]

Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice?
posted by seawallrunner at 1:33 PM on April 23, 2015

Thanks for asking this! I have been wondering for years. The first one I saw was a list of the Seven Summits.
posted by Mars Saxman at 1:40 PM on April 23, 2015

The t-shirt version with one name per line is definitely derived from the Experimental Jetset shirt eschatfische linked above.
posted by mikeh at 1:41 PM on April 23, 2015 [3 favorites]

I'm pretty sure that the Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice movie was the seed, at least (it set up the "thing & thing & thing & thing" phrasing, anyway), and the "Design Memes" link above may have set the typeface and started the ball rolling.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 1:56 PM on April 23, 2015

When Mad Magazine did its satire of Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice, one of the things they did was produce a really, REALLY long list of "name & name &..." that extended across the margin for several pages. It ended "& everyone in the world & Alfred".
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 3:42 PM on April 23, 2015

When Mad Magazine did its satire of Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice

Do you mean this? NSFW.
posted by MonkeyToes at 4:29 PM on April 23, 2015

That's the one!
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 5:46 PM on April 23, 2015

Wow! Not only does that answer my question, but it was chock full of interesting information. You're all honorary librarians.
posted by missrachael at 5:51 PM on April 23, 2015 [2 favorites]

Definitely Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice.

The Beatles are never John&Paul&Ringo&George -- instead, it's always John, Paul, George and Ringo.
posted by Rash at 10:41 AM on April 24, 2015

Rash - that's explained in the first link. george was long, so they added ampersands to the rest and put him at the end.
posted by andrewcooke at 9:39 AM on July 24, 2015

« Older How selfish is it OK to be in life?   |   Am I an alcoholic on six days a month? Newer »