How do I go about becoming a meditation teacher?

Mindfulness meditation has had a profound impact on my life and I'd like to be able to teach it to other people. I'm not looking for it to become anything like a career path, but I'd like to feel more confident about it when I am introducing it to somebody new. How can I do this? I'm looking for recommendations on courses (either online or located in the LA area) or reading material, ideally on the less expensive end.
posted by tumbleweedjack to Education (4 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Have you checked out UCLA's Mindful Awareness Practice classes?
posted by biscuits at 10:26 AM on April 17, 2015 [1 favorite]

I would start by joining or making a local sangha. The one I attend is led by a different member each week. It might be a good way to see different teaching styles and to learn what you like.
posted by Marinara at 10:27 AM on April 17, 2015

I became a meditation teacher through my Buddhist centre. I had been studying there for 5 years or so and they needed a teacher for a location near me, so I volunteered.

I also give input here on the green when people ask meditation questions :)

Mindfulness always makes me think of Jon Kabat-Zinn as the go-to guy, and it looks like his group offers teacher-training programs.

But to be a teacher, one needs students. So either you start up your own meetup and teach, or you find a group and become involved and eventually graduate to teaching. In the LA area you could look for Zen-based Buddhist traditions as well.

In my experience, the best way to teach is to keep meditating and deepening your practice. When the teacher is ready, the students appear.
posted by St. Peepsburg at 10:28 AM on April 17, 2015 [3 favorites]

This is bay area, not LA, but Jack Kornfield, at Spirit Rock, offers teacher training.
posted by janey47 at 10:43 AM on April 17, 2015

« Older picket lines at construction sites - how do they...   |   Fired :( Newer »