Reno for the weekend...for the non-gambling man
April 2, 2015 11:31 AM   Subscribe

Spontaneously decided to book a hotel in Reno for this coming weekend. Not big gamblers by any means. What else can/should we do?

I stupidly was thinking it would be warm enough there to be outside by a pool but a quick weather check corrected that thought. We are a couple, in our 30s, like to have fun and try new things. Not interested in making this a liver-killing weekend, but we will for sure get some cocktails at night. Really open to anything just not sure what to do with ourselves during the day. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!
posted by kmr to Travel & Transportation around Reno, NV (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Go to the car museum!
posted by Rash at 11:34 AM on April 2, 2015

The Midtown District, definitely!
posted by harrietthespy at 11:42 AM on April 2, 2015

Looks like the Midtown link is down right now. Try it later.
posted by harrietthespy at 12:18 PM on April 2, 2015

Basque food.

Are you considering going to Tahoe? I think you should if you haven't been there.
posted by BibiRose at 12:42 PM on April 2, 2015

How about a drive to Virginia City for a day trip? You can visit the mine or just check out the town itself.
posted by Snazzy67 at 12:43 PM on April 2, 2015 [1 favorite]

The Reno Art museum is pretty good. It's right across the river from downtown. The walk along the river is very nice too. On Sierra Street, just a block or so from the river, there is an enormous antique mall that can easily kill some time if you're into that sort of thing.

North of town, there's a wild animal rehab facility, Animal Ark.

You also might consider spending the day in Virginia City. It's a little touristy, but still has the feel of an old mining town. There are also mine tours there you can take.

Food-wise, the Pho place in the ElDorado is very good (but Americanized, I'm sure), and La Strada is excellent.
posted by mudpuppie at 12:46 PM on April 2, 2015

Carson City is a half hour away. On the way there/back is Washoe Lake . If you're there at sunrise or sunset you may see deer.
posted by notned at 12:51 PM on April 2, 2015

Response by poster: Thank you all! Going to Tahoe in a few weeks so don't want to do that this time. Love the Animal Ark idea! Def up for driving a little outside the city area.
posted by kmr at 1:25 PM on April 2, 2015

I didn't recommend Animal Ark because I went and was, frankly, repulsed. It's owned by people who want to keep wild animals enclosed for their own enjoyment. But that's just my opinion. YMMV.
posted by harrietthespy at 2:59 PM on April 2, 2015

Go to the North shore of Lake Tahoe, and eat breakfast at the old Post Office in Carnelian Bay. Then go on to see Emerald Bay area, very beautiful. There are some great boutique restaurants on the North Shore. That lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Get close enough to see how clear it is.

Check on the web to make sure the Old Postie is still open.
posted by Oyéah at 3:08 PM on April 2, 2015

There's good hiking around Reno. Mayberry Park is one example.
posted by saul wright at 5:36 PM on April 2, 2015

Another vote for Carson City. If you're up for a fine dining experience try Adele's.
posted by X4ster at 9:50 PM on April 2, 2015

Get breakfast at Peg's Glorified Ham And Eggs. And cocktails at Death and Taxes.
posted by drapatz at 9:53 PM on April 2, 2015

I know you said you weren't looking for a liver-killing weekend, but there are a fair number of breweries in Reno, including St. James Brasserie, Pigeon Head Brewing (lagers!), Under The Rose, StoneyHead, and Great Basin.

If you like coffee, I recommend either Hub coffee or Bibo Cafe. Hub roasts their own and bibo uses a local roaster, Kolika.

I like the drive down to Minden, too.
posted by freezer cake at 9:07 AM on April 3, 2015

Former Reno native here... definitely check out the Auto Museum and the Art Museum. They're up there with some of the best museums in the country.

If you go to Virginia City, wear your longjohns... if it's chilly in Reno, it will be downright cold (and windy) up there. It's still a fun jaunt.

There's some good shopping at the Sparks Outlet mall (and also tons of dining and a very nice IMAX movie theatre there). That's located right on the edge of the Sparks Marina. While you're in the neighborhood, check out the Sparks Museum on Victorian Avenue.

Good watering holes are Brasserie St. James, Ceol Irish pub, and the Chocolate Bar... If you're up for some great food, try the tapas at Fuego, the Chinese cuisine at Palais de Jade, the Basque at Louis' Basque Corner, or Ijji (there are now 3 of them) for teppanyaki and/or sushi.

Sorry about the weather... It was in the 70s a couple of weeks ago, but that's northern NV for ya! Have fun!!
posted by chatelaine at 11:10 AM on April 3, 2015 [1 favorite]

« Older I WON'T AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME   |   Should we tip our cat-sitter? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.