Help Shoe Me

I want to take up running. I'm a very new beginner and am going to start by way of C25K. Slow and steady is the plan. I don't plan on pushing myself. The extenuating factor here is that I have Cerebral Palsy.

I went to the Running Room store yesterday to get some advice on shoes. As I over pronate due to my CP, they advised motion control shoes. I'm not adverse to the idea, but the more I read about them the less convinced I become that they are the right choice. Most places don't even sell them it seems.

Does anyone have experience with motion control shoes, if any? Or specialized versus neutral shoes? I realize you Are Not My Shoe Expert.
posted by aclevername to Health & Fitness (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I've been running for ~10 years, anywhere between 6-30 miles/week. I only wear motion control shoes, specifically Brooks Adrenaline. When I first started running I got "fitted" at a running shop where they observed my gait and recommended those. I've probably gone through 5 pairs and I love them.

They are definitely not the most attractive shoes out there but I have never had foot problems or any running-related injury.
posted by pintapicasso at 8:58 AM on March 19, 2015 [1 favorite]

I'm not familiar with that chain but if it is staffed with runners who know their stuff, I would trust their opinion. Most brands sell stability/motion control shoes, you might just need to visit zappos or something if you can't find them locally. That being said, my local running store has an awesome return policy so I always pay a bit extra to get my first pair of new shoes from them because if they don't work out after the first few uses I'm not out money because I can just return them and get a different pair. If you buy from most other places, after you use the shoe you can't return it without a hassle (if at all). Did they have you walk/jog on a treadmill before telling you what shoes you need? Before I went to my running store, I was just buying whatever shoe felt comfortable in the store--most of these were stability shoes--but that then caused me massive pain when running. One run after buying a new pair of New Balance had me walking home barefoot because that was less painful than the shoes. I do not recommend this method of finding a good pair of shoes. Another option I might consider is having custom orthotics made for your shoes by a podiatrist. I am not a shoe expert, but I am a runner who started with a couch to 5k program last year, got addicted to running, and am now running half-marathons. Shoes are the most important thing to having a good time running, and you might need to try a couple different brands/types before finding The Right One.
posted by awesomelyglorious at 9:02 AM on March 19, 2015 [1 favorite]

They did have me walk about the store in my sock feet to see how I walked.
posted by aclevername at 9:11 AM on March 19, 2015

I buy motion-control shoes for my pronation/plantar fasciitis at RoadRunner Sports (part of the Gap empire), but was originally fitted for them at a good running store. I can recommend Asics Foundations, and my sister reports well of the Brooks Addiction (if it's still made).

I don't care what my shoes look like: I care that my feet not hurt when/after running. These do that. I also use Doctor Scholl's orthotics, which seem to help as well.
posted by suelac at 9:15 AM on March 19, 2015

For the record the two I'm currently looking at are the Brooks Ariel and the Asics Gel Foundation. I'll get out of the thread now.
posted by aclevername at 9:19 AM on March 19, 2015 [1 favorite]

I supinate like a mofo, and I also wear the Brooks Adrenalines, along with my custom orthotics, when I run. Been running for a few years now, no more than 10 miles/week, and I've been very happy with them. I do have a friend who's a very serious runner who's switched brands recently, but that was for speed, which should not be a big concern for any beginner.

One thing I liked about my local running store was that they recorded video of me on a treadmill when we did the initial fitting. That way I could see for myself what the problem was, and also see how the sneakers helped.

(And I would recommend a new pair at least once a year if you're running seriously. I know it's time when I start getting shin splints.)
posted by mishaps at 9:20 AM on March 19, 2015

aclevername, did your running store let you run in the shoes you tried on, (even a few meters)? My local store allows this, and it's a big help. You may also want to consider getting orthotics for running, (probably custom orthotics, rather than the ones they sell at running stores). Strengthening hips, glutes and core will also help provide stability. It kind of takes a village of things to help runners run happy. :)
posted by Flipping_Hades_Terwilliger at 9:43 AM on March 19, 2015

I've been wearing Brooks to trail run/walk, and hike (mountains) for about 6 years now and have been pretty happy with their performance over time.

I do 25-40 miles a week (highly weather, time, and goal dependent) and should replace them more often than I do, but I'm a pretty happy Brooks consumer!
posted by Mysterious Trousers at 8:04 PM on March 19, 2015

I also wear the Brooks Adrenaline. They're around $130 at the running store, but I bought a pair of last year's model on eBay for about $80. I have heard that people who like the Adrenaline also like the Mizuno Wave.

I run about 15 miles a week and am 6'5" and 275 pounds. I tend to overpronate too, and in general as a big dude have been told to look for stabilizing shoes. No barefoot toe shoes for me!
posted by rossination at 8:09 PM on March 19, 2015

« Older Collaboration tools for a remote non-coding team?   |   Father-son vacation ideas for a six-year-old Newer »