How can I send photos from a cell phone to a computer?

There must be an easy way to send photos from a cell phone to a computer... (as brief as possible explanation inside).

I need to text photos from a Verizon cell phone to a computer. I've tried googling this info but there are tons of hits about transferring photos from your own phone to your own computer. I need to receive photos on my computer from a distant person with a Verizon cell phone. I know this is easy using email with a smart phone, but how can you text photos to a computer? Sorry if this is a dumb and obvious question; I just can't seem to find the information.
posted by crazylegs to Computers & Internet (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Can't you just text the photos to your e-mail address? That's always worked for me.
posted by signondiego at 12:12 PM on March 18, 2015 [5 favorites]

Is the phone able text pictures to another phone? The phone needs to have a data plan (i.e., not just phone and text plan) or a special MMS/picture text allowance to be able to send a picture by text message. Pictures would actually get sent by MMS, which is different from normal text messaging ("SMS").

If the phone is able to text pictures to another phone, then it ought to work to just send a text to an email, as signondiego says. If not, then it can't be done, and they'll need to transfer the picture to their computer via a cable and then email it to you.
posted by brainmouse at 12:16 PM on March 18, 2015

Pushbullet maybe? http://lifehacker.com/how-to-use-pushbullet-to-bridge-the-gap-between-all-you-1548595270
posted by davidvanb at 12:21 PM on March 18, 2015

I used to have Verizon, and it was definitely possible to send pictures to an email address via MMS. Just bear in mind that depending on the plan you may be charged per MMS.
posted by selfnoise at 12:32 PM on March 18, 2015 [1 favorite]

Seconding signondiego: I just send them to my email address, open that address on the computer, and save the photos from the email to the desktop or wherever. Easy-peasy.
posted by easily confused at 12:33 PM on March 18, 2015

Text or email. I have an ancient flip phone on Verizon, and I have my own email address in the Contacts, for this very use.
posted by Thorzdad at 12:34 PM on March 18, 2015

Response by poster: Just to clarify: can you text photos to the email address, from a location that doesn't have wifi? The situation is: a person is going to an auction for me and I want her to be able to send me photos of some items; I assume there will be cell service there but don't know about wifi.
posted by crazylegs at 12:37 PM on March 18, 2015

Yes, that should be fine assuming they have a decent connection and their plan/device supports sending MMS messages. I would certainly test it out beforehand, though.
posted by selfnoise at 12:39 PM on March 18, 2015 [2 favorites]

Just to clarify: can you text photos to the email address, from a location that doesn't have wifi?
Yes, absolutely. That's exactly how my ancient, non-wifi phone works. I select the photo from my gallery, select "send photo", select my email address from my Contacts, hit "send".
posted by Thorzdad at 6:44 PM on March 18, 2015 [1 favorite]

You could also set up a Google voice account, I think, and have them sent to that number.
posted by mercredi at 8:25 PM on March 18, 2015

Dropbox?
posted by devnull at 1:23 AM on March 19, 2015

You can simply synchronize them with Picasa/Google-Plus, or alternatively, transfer them over TeamViewer. You can even hit "share" and send, via email or gmail, etc.
posted by Grease at 8:55 AM on April 4, 2015

« Older What does wax mean in restaurant prep?   |   How to get details of coverage for a preexisting... Newer »